Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to sound proof a bedroom?

gc
Just Starting Out

How to sound proof a bedroom?

Hey guys, first post so go easy lol during lockdown I've been learning to sing and play guitar. Unfortunately there isn't anywhere quiet enough for me to practice.

I've watched plenty of videos, read blogs etc. So far Ive got 100m of 20mm thick bubble wrap to cover walls, window (not sure if good idea) and ceiling as a cheaper alternative to sound proof foam pads. Bought rubber matts for floor.

Was hoping anyone could ad any and all possible ideas regarding sound proofing for myself and future visitors. I've picked up timber pallets and hoping to make them into portable Sound proof pannels on wheels. And after seeing a pallet project here for a bar, i thought if it was feasible to take that idea further and make a recording booth too?

Thanks again guys. Cheers

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to sound proof a bedroom?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @gc. It's fabulous to have you join us and many thanks for your questions.

It sounds (pardon the pun) like a fantastic project and I trust our members will be eager to follow along. I'd certainly be interested to see if you could incorporate Sounds Screen insulation into the interior of the pallets and then potentially add outer skins to them with plywood on either side.

I believe any additional layer that you add to the walls would assist in inhibiting sounds transfer. The bubble wrap will most likely work reasonably well but you might need to do two layers at 20mm to see a significant effect.

It might be worth investigating whether you could find either egg crate mattress topper or sheets of egg carton at a budget price. They could be available for a cheaper price than proprietary sound insulation panels.

Let me mention @redracer01 and @Brad to see if they can add some nifty ways to soundproof a room.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Let me also extend a very warm welcome to the community @gc. We trust you'll get loads of helpful advice and inspiration for all your projects around the home from our amazing members.

Just thought I'd add these previous discussions might prove helpful:

Please let me know if you ever need a hand getting the most from the site.

Jason

Soundproofing an existing room in a house is an EXTREMELY difficult thing to do...just in case you didn't know !! 😊

All you can do is remove all the interior wall paneling and fill the space with acoustic foam batts..that's the easy part !!

Then you have to replace the wall paneling with a double layer of gyprock...preferably of two different thicknesses...

But before adding the second layer you have to apply "green glue" all over the back of the second layer panels..

This applies a non resonating and a sound absorbing film between the two layers, when the second layer is affixed to the first layer..

The next thing is the door to the room...

If it's a standard core panel door, you will have to replace it with a solid timber door..

Then you will need to seal the space between the door and the frame, using the acoustic foam / rubber stripping around the perimeter of the frame

Following that..is the floor..

Any existing floor covering will need to be removed, down to the floor boards or concrete..and then completely covered with acoustic underlay..and then covered with a deep pile carpet..

This will help with acoustics and sound transmission through the floor..

Last of all is the ceiling..

Completely covering the ceiling with acoustic foam inside the ceiling will help, but won't make it completely soundproof..

Covering the ceiling with"egg crate" foam on the underside will also help to reduce sound levels..

The end result will significantly reduce sound transmission but it will not be totally sound proof..

I hope that helps..

TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @gc, I have recently been in discussion (& had a useful outcome) with a proffessional regarding sound lowering in my bedroom, but for the purpose of sleeping despite the noisy neighbours at night. The advice was that it is the density of the material that provides sound absorption, not the shape, nor necessarily the thickness. so the bubble wrap is unlikely to be very effective at stopping other hearing you.

Egg carton material, which has density, is more often used to absorb sounds and is better at it than normal low-density foam rubber, which is usually made to absorb some body weight for comfort. The egg-carton shape provide less reflection as well as more surface area to do so. 

The Bubble wrap may provide less sound reflection than hard walls (& will at least let in window light), which is perhaps all you need for your situation? Perhaps heavy curtains could do so more aesthetically, if that's any issue.

The panels on wheels, with suitable absorption material seems like a good idea for your situation, so you can adjust the sound environment to suit.

I hope that helps with making choices for materials to use.

This is making me think of the ingenuity of some reporters and voice-over artists, who didn't have access to studios during Covid-19 lockdowns, who made their presentions in bed, surrounded by pillows (for the density) and with the doona over their heads. Probably not the best set-up for guitar playing though. 

Best wishes with it.

[For my situation, we had double glazed windows installed, mostly to lower heat transfer and some sound absorption, but I felt (correctly) that the neighbours' voices were arriving through the ceiling. After the advice, we had a layer heavy density insulation which is designed to absorb sound (less so heat) put in the bedroom ceilings, topped with a layer of normal insulation for the heat. Result: now have barely noticeable sounds in the bedroom, which is exactly what we wanted... to be 100% sound-proof would have felt eerie in my situation. We can sleep peacefully.]  

BTW; My interest in your sound project comes from my own career which started out in audio electronics, influenced by the work of my dad who used to make bespoke studio-quality sound systems for people, way back when you couldn't buy anything decent off the shelf in Australia.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @gc,

You'll see from the very high view count that this has been a very popular topic with the Bunnings Workshop community. 

Just wondering if you have made any progress with your project? It would be great to get an update.

Many thanks,

Jason

agster
Just Starting Out

@TedBear 

Hi there, I’m having similar problem atm. However I live in a rental unit so I need something permanent. “After the advice, we had a layer heavy density insulation which is designed to absorb sound (less so heat) put in the bedroom ceilings, topped with a layer of normal insulation for the heat” what’s a density insulation did you use? Could you please kindly link me, I haven’t been able to sleep for months

TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @agster, I will need to dig out my records of the job and get back to you on that.

A bit limiting when you are renting... Will the owner support the idea of adding your own insulation?  I guess it shouldn't be an issue for them.

TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @agster 

My bedroom ceilings were covered in  R2.7,  90mm acoustic Pink Batts, then overlayed with R4.1 batts to give the heat insulation.

I didn't do my own installation, but I think the batts would be the same as these. They are dark brown as these appear to be ...

https://www.bunnings.com.au/earthwool-r2-5-90-x-430-x-1160mm-7-0m-hd-insulation-soundshield-wall-bat...

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects