Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to stop window condensation?

Thierry
Building a Reputation

How to stop window condensation?

Hi 

During the cold season my huge window glasses have condensation issues in the rooms.

Water is dripping and can cause molding issues on the wood.

Just wondering if there's any sealant or advice to address these issues

IMG20220601075633.jpg

Thanks

Thierry

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: window condensation issue

Afternoon Thierry.

You got me running to my windows!

Mine are very old aluminium windows - but there is a channel that catches dripping condensation and releases it outside through small holes.

I know I have had your problem above - but it was due to the outlet holes being clogged up. Once un-clogged, problem solved.

But I can't quite make out the channel system in your photo above?

20220601_132655.jpg

(PS - I am not a glazier. I have limited knowledge with windows)

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to stop window condensation?

Hello @Thierry

Thanks for sharing your question about condensation on your windows. I suggest having a quick look at this discussion - Condensation issue: My windows are swimming in winter. by @DCS. One of the main causes of condensation on your windows and in your house is trapped moisture and lack of air movement. If you're currently using an unflued LPG heater it produces a lot of carbon dioxide that mixes with the water vapour in the air and that produces condensation.

I recommend providing a point of exit for the air and moisture that's present in the room. Keep the doors open and perhaps leave a window slightly open to allow air to circulate. 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.  

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Thierry
Building a Reputation

Afternoon Noyade

Sorry for late reply.

I dont notice any channel on my windows. The brand is all weather windows. 

There's only one part of window which is leaking . I plan to tape the edge of the window glass and frame.

IMG20220603081458.jpg

IMG20220603081450.jpg

Thierry
Building a Reputation

Hi Eric

Sorry for late response.

There's no heater in the bedrooms. When showering and cooking , i close the doors.

Only 1 window frame is leaking in my bedroom.. i plan to tape the edge of window glass and frame.. hope this prevent air from outside to come inside.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Thierry

That's perfectly alright, is there no drain hole near your window or on the aluminium itself? As @Noyade suggested, have a look around and see if the drain hole is plugged up. Taping up the window will not really solve the condensation issue. I suggest instead keeping a door open so that there will be constant airflow in the room. Only when the air stops moving will the condensation start forming.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Remarka6le
Amassing an Audience

I Agree with @EricL @& @Noyade , 

Try and find a weep hole if you can, if you do, see if it's blocked up and clean it out with a small flexible brush. Is the water from the middle frame dripping into the bottom channel and overflowing or is it missing entirely and hitting the wood directly?

Remarka6le
Thierry
Building a Reputation

Thanks guys.

I just noticed the drain hole which is in the middle but bottom one has no drain hole.

I wil try to clean this. Hopefully will work. Cheers

IMG20220831202142.jpg

IMG20220831202224.jpg

IMG20220831202752.jpg

  

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects