Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Is putty around power outlet safe?

homediy
Getting Established

Is putty around power outlet safe?

We had a dint in the plaster around a socket and I've put some filler there. Just started wondering if that's safe? From recollection the wires are encased  behind so shouldn't be an issue?

16737548081454744324806017816422.jpg

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Is putty around power outlet safe?

Morning @homediy 

Looks good to me!

Sand and paint. Done.

What filler did you use?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @homediy

It's great that you've received excellent advice from @Noyade. Just make sure that the power outlet is not moving sagging or pulling out. It's important that the power outlet housing is not compromised before attempting to repair the wall.

Please remember to use proper safety equipment such as gloves, safety goggles and a dust mask when sanding your plasterboard wall. As an added note of precaution, please take all necessary care when working around power outlets.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @homediy 

Please add 2 more screws to the bottom of your power point to make it stronger.

Plugging and  unplugging can be a strain on the surrounding plaster and it can break .

OR  

Add a power point gyprock bracket that  sandwiches the top  plate onto the bottom plate with the gyprock in between and the screws go into the middle holes.  no Outer corner screws requiered if  you use this method.  Turn  power off  for this job as you will have a metal bracket very  close to power.

Tip the little hooks point into the room.  I would use some liquid nails or any glue to put onto the bracket to glue it to the inside of the wall once it is screwed into place. Why do this  because if you ever undo this power point again that bracket  can un hook from wall and fall into wall cavity and you will need a new one.

DETA Plaster Clip Bracket   I/N: 4430383   $1.20

https://www.bunnings.com.au/deta-plaster-clip-bracket_p4430383

homediy
Getting Established

Thanks. It was Earls all purpose multfill. 

homediy
Getting Established

Thanks, it isn't moving (it was but I tightened up the top screw before I puttied)

Thanks, I wondered why the electrician didn't put in the bottom screws. Could screwing it in there actually be an issue ie there was a reason behind that he didn't I wonder? There are two screws centre either side too.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @homediy

There is always the possibility that an anchor plate was not installed at the bottom of the power outlet. But since the outlet is secure, I don't recommend taking it apart.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @homediy 

The power point is minimally OK  and not  reflection on your kind self  as you where not the installer.    I commented as to  advise you if some one trips on a power cord with 2 screws  not 4 to try protect it.  No one wants more gyprock  damage around your power outlet is the reason i raise the issue.

The power  point is designed with 2 fixing options both are not  required at the same time. The first is the plaster clip bracket  which sandwiches the power board to the wall that is the strongest method of  fixing into plaster board as the whole section of  gyprock sheet has to  break before the power point comes out. Typically a sheet  will flex before breaking. 

The second is the 4 outer screw point screwing into gyprock I think every one knows the  weaknesses of a single screw into a gyprock wall and the ease to pull it out once pulled   upon

So if  the original  installer  used 2 screws at least they could have gone  one side top and one bottom side to try distribute  the potential physical load of some one tripping on a power cord sharply pulling on it.  2 screws its held.  4 screws it holds it double that as the reason it has 4 screw mounting points. I would  use  4 screws in a high trip risk area.

I am  over shoddy tradies cutting corners all in the  name of saving a bit of money and time they need to be  proud of there work and maintain there own professional standards if they want to be taken seriously.    No wonder there are more and more DIYers.

Morning JR @Jewelleryrescue 

If you look two posts above yours - @homediy does mention he has four screws inserted...

"There are two screws centre either side too."

That should be enough? 🤔

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects