Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

New bookshelf

keterlich
Building a Reputation

New bookshelf

We wanted to add a bookshelf to a blank wall so we drew up a plan that would fit the space well. From Bunnings we purchased 2250x600x30 AraucoPly for the top, bottom, sides and shelves. We purchased Easycraft VJ panelling for the back and then put it all together like a giant jigsaw puzzle. All shelving is screwed in and we then filled the screw holes and painted it in Dulux Lexicon from Bunnings.

It's 2250 long and 2250 high with staggered shelving. We decided to have some overhanging shelves on one end to encourage our cats to use that as a climbing tree instead of the furniture but unfortunately that didn't work! As a bookshelf though we are really happy with it, it's strong and functional and fits in well in the space and we love the look of it.

IMG_20200819_125214.jpg

Prof
Becoming a Leader

Re: New bookshelf

Hello  keterlich and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community..

Your project  looks great and I think many people will find that helpful..

We wish you every success with your entry..

Prof..

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @keterlich 

They look very nice and a similar style to what I made a few years back, but unfortunately I used a white wash - I like what you've done with the Dulux Lexicon.

"We wanted to add a bookshelf to a blank wall so we drew up a plan that would fit the space well."

And that's the best part of making it yourself - they'll fit perfectly! 👍

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @keterlich

Thank you very much for sharing your beautiful bookshelf project. Using EasyVJ panels as a backing board is perfect as it adds an extra visual feature. Using extra overhanging shelves as cat climbers is the best idea yet. Don't get discouraged if your cat does not want to use the steps right away. Remember that it's a new piece of furniture and it may take your felines some time to get used to it. 

Again, thank you so much for sharing your bookshelf project.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects