Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Painting bedroom black

jemma11
Having an Impact

Painting bedroom black

Wanted to create a calm atmosphere and direct the eye out the windows to our bush view, so I bit the bullet and painted the whole room matte black. Amazed at how beautifully it works, but can’t decide now which bedding to use.  What do you think, the white, or the green? 

B653B27D-ECF1-4FA3-B200-955393307DF1.jpeg

03A936DE-4481-4A2E-8A3C-A1F3AC43D760.jpeg

EDE83C7E-67D0-4991-8948-E7C90199CDDD.jpeg

084D2609-0681-400E-97D0-1F5D42B4CEB1.jpeg

Re: Painting bedroom black

Hi Eric, I had a friend back in the UK and she painted the whole flat black. Each time I visited I needed a course of antidepressants. I think you could get away with just a bedroom if you have adequate light and bright soft furnishings. It’s just a phase youngsters go through but when they get the sec bill they might paint it while. All good fun. I don’t know what this is or how to repot it. All the best brenda 

1E99464B-9CAA-4421-8415-EF8D5214F3C1.jpeg

DC588A40-8407-472B-89DF-00745D4D7C9B.jpeg

Re: Painting Bedroom Black

Hi @jemma11 , I agree with Remarka6le, but if green or white are only options, I prefer the green.

I painted our bedroom a very dark grey using a low gloss finish, which reflects enough light through the window and doorway.

(But it isn't on brick.)

We have a black doona cover with a pattern of silver curved-lines running through it. We think It looks good.

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

@EricL 

True, But the matt colouring makes it feel more earthy and secure. What also plays through my mind is imagine the back lighting you could do :smile: Now I want to take the day off and go home and work on something inthe house! Too many ideas :smile:

Dave

Hi Dave, sounds like you are getting hooked on DIY. Please don’t do what I did and bought a electric sander with no idea how to use it. As far as rushing home to your black bedroom it may be appealing to you simply because it reminds you of the womb safe and dark, brenda 

@brendawebster44 

hahahah :smile: I think ive been talked out of a black room three times in my life. Not sure if Id be game enough to try it but like the look a lot. I have two Libary's and they have multiple black bookcases. The lighting takes away the darkness and I think the depth of colour (black with oiled timber edging) looks stunning. I do intend to post the sequence, just havnt managed to get myself to do so yet. The projects that people do alwways inspire me, I may not want to do all of the same but mixing and matching... Well isnt that the way we renovate? :smile:

Dave

I’m really amazed at how much light is drawn into my black room.  Maybe you’re just really aware of every speck of light as it’s such high contrast.  
Love the sound of your library! Everyone should have a library :smile: 

I’ve stuck with the green, it’s so soft and calm

A friend suggested terracotta and dusky pink; I think that will have to be my winter look, so warm and inviting against the black 

Thanks for the suggestion! 

jemma11
Having an Impact

Thanks for tagging me! I need to log on more often, all these lovely comments and suggestions! Sorry for my tardy reply, everyone 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects