Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Painting tips for apartment refresh

Pree
Getting Established

Painting tips for apartment refresh

pic 2.jpgpic 3.jpgpic1.jpg

hi I have bought an apartment which is approx 3 years old, its in great condition but the color on the wall are not my preferred. It bit of darkish and I want to change it to white. I have never painted and I do not even know what tools are required for painting and how to start? At this stage, I am planning to paint only the hallway and kitchen/living room all indoors. also there are fewl large concrete pillars on the patio that is painted blue and I want to change that to be off white.  Could you please help me what tools are required and step by step guide to paint inside and outside pillars and what type of colors do I need?  Also on the kitchen benchtop/ island, I want to have same color laminate bench on the sides of island, any idea  where I can buy that and how much does it cost to get it installed. All suggestions are much appreciated.

Isobel
Amassing an Audience

Re: Painting Tips

Primer is used on bare surfaces so no need for that, but two coats is generally the best idea when painting just about anything to ensure the best possible result.

A quick dust with a rag after sanding is a good idea.

Sorry I can’t help with costs on the bench, but suggest you get at least two quotes. Hipages.com.au might be a good place to start. 

For your roof question, I’d suggest you start a new discussion with some photos. I tend to agree that clear roofing sheets can be problematic, especially if you have a lot of trees and or dirt/dust.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Pree,

Just checking in to see how you are progressing with your apartment renovation work. Please let us know if you need further assistance. We'd be happy to help. It would also be great to see progress shots if you've begun work. 

Thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MartyH
Amassing an Audience

Did you want a transparent roof to ensure it's as light as possible? Is it an open or enclosed patio?

Prawns
Becoming a Leader

Just a small tip I found helped me tackling painting a house for the first time as a complete painting noob - I was pretty hopeless "cutting in" with a paintbrush, and tape seemed to damage what it was covering sometimes so i started using these for cutting in (indeed I think at least one room got done using pads completely lol) it gives a pretty smooth finish though so make sure you dont have dents as mentioned as it seems to highlight them lol. and make sure you dont dip the "rollers" in paint....else you end up painting the part you didnt want to when "cutting in" https://www.bunnings.com.au/shur-line-premium-wheel-edger_p1660043

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects