Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Painting walls after removing wallpaper

tmoyn
Growing in Experience

Painting walls after removing wallpaper

I have recently started removing wallpaper from three bedrooms in preparation to paint.  I realise I will need to fill the gaps but I'm wondering if someone could give me some advice about the flaky (I guess, Primer) paint that was underneath the wallpaper.

Do I need to sand back all of the paint or just the areas where the paint is flaky?

PXL_20201231_015516393-resized.jpgPXL_20201231_041040173-resized.jpgPXL_20201231_041101684-resized.jpgPXL_20201231_041111432-resized.jpgPXL_20201231_041405463-resized.jpg 

Re: Painting walls after removing wallpaper

Thank you @Peggers@Brad - good to know that I don’t need to do much more. A light sand and smooth will do the trick. 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

How are you going with your walls @tmoyn?

Let us know if you need a hand with anything.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
tmoyn
Growing in Experience

Thanks @Jason.. 

I'm still going... Scraped all the wallpaper and flakey paint off, cleaned walls with sugar soap and now finally at primer stage. Never done any serious painting before but ready to give it a go.

I'm going to use the suggested, British Paints 4L White 4 In 1 Prep Water Based Primer Sealer Undercoat and see how it goes.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

You've done the hard part @tmoyn. All the best with the painting. Feel free to post anytime you need a hand with anything.

Looking forward to seeing the end results.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects