Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Recessed TV feature wall with easyVJ panels

ProjectPete
Kind of a Big Deal

Recessed TV feature wall with easyVJ panels

At my wife's request I got to work on this recessed TV feature wall in our living room and we're so happy with how it turned out 😁 Would love to hear what you think! It may come as a surprise but this isn't out of reach for the average DIYer so don't be scared to give this one a go

Panels - Easycraft easyVJ panels. Made-to-order with 63mm spacing.

Paint - Dulux Lexicon Quarter

Timber shelves - French Oak to match TV unit

Screenshot_20210308-141740_Instagram.jpg  Screenshot_20210308-141757_Instagram.jpg

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo
redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Recessed TV feature wall with easyVJ panels

Hello @ProjectPete 

This is straight out of those house fashion magazines! Those little touches like the overlap of the shelf to one side. You even went the extra mile with the shelves in french oak. What can I say Pete this is a fantastic, impressive build. It's definitely giving me ideas! I can only hope to emulate your superb work. I'm curious how did you hide the cables to the TV? What about your set top boxes, consoles or are they in another part of the house? Power points? Would love to know how you planned it out before you started the project. Amazing build all around!

Cheers,

Red

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Thanks so much for the kind words @redracer01 !

Conduits are in the brick wall itself (from original build) then I added another for the WiFi Mesh module sitting on bottom shelf.

The bottom of the conduits and the powerpoints are also recessed and hide behind the TV unit.

TV unit houses power board, modem/router, ethernet hub, speaker amp.

Would love to see you (and others) have a crack at this - happy to talk anyone through it. 

----------
Handy and helpful

This is sensational, @ProjectPete!

I note you've mentioned it is a brick wall. Were all these niches created when it was built? That would be some fantastic forethought if they were. Do you believe something similar could be achieved on a non-load-bearing timber stud wall with some reconfiguring of the structure?

I'd love to see any before pictures you might have of the wall before the panelling going up.

Congratulations on achieving a finish level that most dream of, and many thanks for sharing your truly inspirational project.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks @MitchellMc - stoked with it!

This is a standard/flat brick wall. I created the niches with 90mm timber battens to ensure the TV sat inside the niche. And this can definitely be achieved on a timber stud wall.

FB_IMG_1615243357011.jpg

----------
Handy and helpful

Excellent work @ProjectPete . I am wondering how you married the wall.addition to the existing doorway at the left. Did you put a strip of timber paneling right through the doorway, or is there a seam there? 

It's a great effect for creating more character in the room, as well as being able to hide unsightly cabling within it. 

@TedBear I just fixed a 90mm timber batten to the very edge of the wall to essentially extend it. Then filled the gap/join (as both materials are pencil round), sanded back and repainted. Seamless.

----------
Handy and helpful

Another thing I like about how you did this project: - 

When you asked for suggestions on it a while ago, most people said go horizontal with the boards (mostly for cognitively-explained reasons), yet you went for a style and did vertical instead. The sign of a true artist!

[My observation on art, is that artists only learn "the rules" so that they can figure out how and when to break them.]

Ah you remember that one @TedBear 

That's actually for my theatre which I haven't done yet as I haven't decided on the panelling just yet but I think I'm close. I'm considering an L shape of panelling where the panels run across the top of the wall and a section down the right. In doing this, I'm even considering a mitre in the corner so I get horizontal and vertical in the one design...but I need to test this out a bit first.

----------
Handy and helpful

That sound interesting too.

Regarding the L shaped paneling option, you are describing one of my favourite approaches to decision making;- i.e.  when in doubt, do both!

It's amazing how often we can, yet people get stuck in an either/or world and often overlook that possibility.

When/how do you get time to use these multiple TV installations??

You have inspired me! I have a flat-screen TV in a small lounge, with inbuilt, inadequate quality sound (my dad and I used to build sound systems when I was a kid, so I am fussy about sound) and have been wondering how to include better speakers in the room without adding "clutter" (as my wife will call them), but by creating a new wall with a TV recess I will also create columns of air which can be used to house (and tune) better quality speakers within.

New project coming up, thanks Pete!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects