Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Suggestions on how to build this coffee table

deeknee
Just Starting Out

Suggestions on how to build this coffee table

Hi! I'm looking for suggestions on how I can build this coffee table. It looks like there are 9 individual parts to it (2 legs, 7 curves).

Do you have any suggestions on where I can get the pieces cut and shaped?

e4cfc1ee4fa8303a352d93d51e1c68df.jpg

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Suggestions on how to build this coffee table

By my count there are 17 pieces to make that.

Not sure of the width but it looks like you could use a forstner bit to make the inside curves or a large bandsaw for everything, then lots of sanding.

Another way is to glue up segmented cilinders that would be turned into the shape then cut in half, given the grain pattern it looks like they didn't do it this way. Given the tools I have and what is coming it is how I would do it, I would have to use the clubs bobin sander though.

A bobin sander may be the best choice. to neaten it up.

Looks like the design could be adapted to make a wine rack, one of those jobs where price is no object.

StevieB
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Welcome @deeknee. This looks like a fantastic project and we look forward to following along.

It's great to see that you've already received helpful advice from @Brad. Let me tag @EricL and @MitchellMc to see if they can help further.

Stevie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Let me also extend a very warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @deeknee.

We have loads of other keen woodworkers who are community members. Let me put out the challenge to them to come up with ideas for how they would tackle this coffee table project to add to @Brad's thoughts: @LePallet@woodalwaysworks@r23on@JDE@Razzer@woodenwookie.

Jason

r23on
Amassing an Audience

This unite has a number of laminated components to get the perfect shape more than likely it has been steamed and pressed into shape. I would like to see a side view to see if it has any other laminations

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @deeknee,

Constructing a table like this would be considered a relatively advanced woodworking project. If you were looking to have someone cut and shape the pieces for you, you could try a Men's Shed as the gentlemen there will sometimes take on private jobs. As @Brad has mentioned, you'll likely find a Men's Shed the best place to start as few people would have the equipment needed to create those curves at home.

Please let us know if you have questions.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects