Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Wall panelling on TV wall

ProjectPete
Kind of a Big Deal

Wall panelling on TV wall

Hi all, seeking some thoughts/advice on a feature wall I'm planning.

In my FIFA Room (AKA Theatre) I'm doing panelling on the TV wall. I'm trying to decide if I do horizontal or vertical panelling...

Will horizontal compliment the width of the TV? Or will vertical look better? I have an 85inch TV and the wall is about 4m wide including a 1m doorway so the TV gets centred in roughly 3m section.

I've recently done horizontal shiplap in my entry (unfinished area so ignore the random placement of plants).

15636847399424792307775632638536.jpg

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo
Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Wall panelling on TV wall

My vote for what it is worth is horizontal.
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

I also vote horizontal. It will look fantastic @ProjectPete!

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
ProjectPete
Kind of a Big Deal

Thanks for your input gents @Brad @Jason. Still keen on other people's thoughts. I love the look of the vertical batten cladding (about 25-30mm width) but feel it'll take the focus of the TV, even be a bit distracting, so will save it for a different area.

I'm thinking about the colour I paint it too now. I love the Dulux Domino which I used in the Entry but don't want to double up and I'm thinking a really deep, dark green could be the go. I have a French Oak TV unit with black and dark grey accents, a dark grey couch with timber feet along with dark brown leather cushions and pouf, white walls and ceiling and of course any beloved polished concrete floor. I'll also have a set of cacti in the corner. It's a very earthy, raw, masculine look/feel I'm going for. 

Suggestions on the best green? Or any other colours I should consider?

Thanks again 

----------
Handy and helpful

I vote horizontal. My colour choice gun metal grey.

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Former Workshop member
Not applicable

Just my two cents (as I am CAD drawing my home theater design as well!) but horizontal will always look better due to the inherent 'width' 16:9 of a TV screen...vertical would clash. Then again that is design - contrast can be used extremely effectively - but just IMHO KISS works and go horizontal!

Depending on your setup remember those cables mate...I have a Dolby Atmos 5.1.2 system going in and with just with a computer, PS4 and Foxtel (of course amplifier, but dont forget power boards, Ethernet cables/splitters, transformers etc) I have HAD to go with a false wall rear to hide them all.

I'll be honest and say that I was OCD enough to do a spreadsheet up and count all the cabling up. That was when I started to panic! Just IMHO anyway, good luck man :smile:

EDIT ps: before it gets jumped on by a grammar/spelling Nazi; I am aware of my spelling of 'theater' and the fact that it is incorrect (in this country; Australia). I override the spell check in homage to my favourite band :smile: peace

Def see where you're coming from @Former Workshop member 

I have my conduit set into my brick wall (new home) so nothing to worry about there except when the head/end of a cord is too big for the condut haha.

----------
Handy and helpful
Former Workshop member
Not applicable

@ProjectPete Whoa...conduit chased into the wall is going to the next level...nice commitment to a quality finished product mate :laugh: I guess I managed to get lucky with my home theater placement; the other side of the single brick wall the TV and gear will be on is the inside of the Bed 2 wardrobe *thumbsup* neat little poke through the wall and run a conduit up (hidden inside the wardrobe) to the roof cavity for the ceiling and rear speakers :wink: just personally chasing conduit into a wall is too much...kudos to you for committing to that kind of an install though mate :smile:

I don't even want to think about the number of times I have had 'x' number of cables perfectly running through a specific opening...only to realise there was a power cord I'd forgotten! I don't know about anyone else but it always seems to be a power cord (with the big plug that is tenths of a mm too big for the hole...of course...) that has taken a couple of years off my life :hysterical:

I currently keep changing my mind with my design (it seems to be a relentless loop of trying to incorporate some appealing aesthetics without compromising the function of the home theater itself...I have a dozen CAD efforts that haven't cut it) so I'd love to see any pic's or sketches or whatever as you work through it mate :smile:

Cheers

Firstly I would definitely go with the horizontal paneling..It will have the effect of stretching your horizontal axis to a more cinemascope aspect ( 2.35:1 )..
And secondly, use the same grey paint that is on your existing paneling...Grey is the ideal colour background because it's a neutral colour..
BTW..Who makes an 85" TV.? That's HUGE!!!
ProjectPete
Kind of a Big Deal

@Prof Horizontal it is :smile:

I was thinking last night of using the same Dulux Domino I use din my entry coz I love it and it's perfect for theatre room, was just trying to mix it up a bit. Also considered Dulux Oolong which isn't as dark and looks like it has a blue tone in its grey (to my eyes anyway).

Typo :cheeky: It's an 82" https://www.jbhifi.com.au/samsung/samsung-q75-82-qled-4k-smart-tv/392570/ although I wish it was this https://www.jbhifi.com.au/samsung/samsung-q900-82-8k-uhd-qled-tv/380891/ (which seems reasonable given you get a $2500 gift voucher in return haha)

----------
Handy and helpful

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects