Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Where is everyone sourcing untreated timber for furniture?

dragonfly
Getting Established

Where is everyone sourcing untreated timber for furniture?

In particular 140 x 45 untreated pine & 90 x 90 untreated pine. I think the 90 x 45 untreated structural pine is ok for indoor use which I can source at local bunnings but not the other 2? Everywhere seems to be sold out. Hello timber shortage crisis. 

Also are 90 x 90 posts the way to go for a loft bed with double mattress or will 90 x 45 suffice? Not sure how to calculate the max weight capacity. Would appreciate any help.

Thank so much in advance. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Where is everyone sourcing untreated timber for furniture?

Hi @dragonfly,

You'll find that there are certain regulations surrounding the use of untreated timber for internal construction. That's why you'll often see it with an H2 treatment and coloured blue, denoting its termite resistance.

Could you use this untreated 140 x 35mm Pine instead of the 45mm thick timber? For the posts, it'd be best to double the 90 x 45mm and screw them together instead of using a single piece. 90 x 45mm timber will support significant weight, but you'd need to add cross bracing to stop it from twisting/bending.

You might like to check with a helpful team member at your local store's Special Orders counter. They'll be able to contact our timber supplier in your area to see what options might be available to order.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Mitchell,

Thanks for that - I hadn't thought of 140 x 35 but that might work - would just need to align it with the 2 x 4's 

Re untreated pine....what do you mean by regulations? I thought that furniture for indoor use had to be untreated due to the fumes? Or do you mean it's just harder to find because it's generally used for construction? Will try the special orders counter...good call. 

That's correct, @dragonfly. Furniture must be untreated, but structural construction timber typically needs to be H2 treated. 

I look forward to following along with your project and providing assistance as you go.

Mitchell

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @dragonfly 

It's great that you've received excellent suggestions from my colleague @MitchellMc. I just wanted to ask if you were building a double bed frame with 90x45? I just wanted to let you know that I've built a pullout bed using 90x45 back in the past. In order to spread the weight and make your bed strong, I suggest doing a double frame and joining them together so that there will be no springiness to the assembly. 

I've placed an example of how you could put it together, please let me know what you think.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

dragonfly double bed1.jpgdragonfly double bed2.jpgdragonfly double bed3.jpg

dragonfly
Getting Established

Hi Eric,

yes a double bed frame as a loft bed. I was going to use 90x90 posts but I think the 90x45 will hold? 
I see- so you mean run the centre brace vertically with 1 for each 1/2 of the bed, is that right? And I see you’ve doubled up on the legs - so

do you think 90x90 would be better? 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @dragonfly

If you use 90x45 and double it up, I suggest using Zenith 14G x 85mm Galvanised Type 17 Batten Bugle Head Timber Screws to keep them together. It's up to you if you want to use 90x90, it would look visually better, but if the legs are not going to be seen then using the 90x45 is a more affordable option.

Eric

dragonfly
Getting Established

Sorry -more questions - using something similar to below (bearing in mind it is a loft bed so up high) would it work to have 1 90 x 45 centre brace (or even 2) and the slats going the whole way along or best to have it 1/2 size slats as shown in your previous picture? And if I use 90 x 45 as cleats and centre brace, do I need metal brace's under the cleats or at corners for additional support? I was going to use 90 x 45 for the slats too - or do you think that's too much?

Screen Shot 2022-06-25 at 12.58.03 pm.pngScreen Shot 2022-06-25 at 12.58.14 pm.png

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @MitchellMc 

"Furniture must be untreated, but structural construction timber typically needs to be H2 treated."

I've noticed some powder on Blue MGP 10. Is the treatment process only immersion into fluid or is this powder part of the process?

Or its made contact with sheets of gyprock during transport?

Cheers.

Graeme.

20220625_135340.jpg

Hi @dragonfly,

It's pretty typical to use 90 x 45mm for the slats. I have two beds using them. One centre brace should be sufficient. However, since the bed is at height, you might like to utilise two.

The need for additional support will likely depend on how well you can secure the frame. You'd only need brackets if you didn't screw the pieces together sufficiently.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects