Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Which material table top should I use for my standing desk?

durianhead
Finding My Feet

Which material table top should I use for my standing desk?

I'm looking to DIY my own working desk at home. Current plan is to buy an electric motorised leg that will serve as my table's base. The stand I'm looking at can hold 100kg comfortably.

I'm trying to decide what type of table top would go best as a working desk considering:

• Size: min. 1800mm (open to a longer desk but max 2100mm) x 75-90mm (leaning more towards 75mm depth) x no preference on width as long as it doesn't bend
  • Will be writing on a notepad on the table so surface texture should be appropriate

Please note that I am a complete newbie when it comes to DIY homewares but I am very keen to learn. Plus I enjoy the satisfaction of building something myself.

So far what I can tell is there are plenty of options from wood vs non-wood. Then within wood there's hardwood and softwood (pine?). Rubberwood seems affordable, what are the downsides? So many questions.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Which material table top should I use for my standing desk?

Hello @durianhead

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's marvelous to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about which material should you use for your standing desk.

I suggest having a look at this discussion - Options for desktop for a D.I.Y. desk? by @abarrow. The common depth sizes for benchtops are 600mm and 900mm. The typical width can vary from 1800mm and above. If you are using it as a writing desk, I would suggest using a desk writing mat. This will provide adequate protection to your desk if you decide to get a soft pine table. I suggest measuring the area where you will be placing the table to see if you have enough space for a 2400 x 900 benchtop. This is the biggest common size for a timber benchtop. If it's not too big for your office, I suggest not cutting it down so you can have maximum benchtop space.  

Here are some benchtop recommendations.

Here are some amazing D.I.Y. desks that our Workshop members have shared.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your standing desk built.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks @EricL ! That was very helpful.

I'm after something at the very least 75mm in depth so the 1st or 3rd option looks appealing to me now. I must admit I don't have a working table to paint or stain the table top. Is this something I can do on the floor? Or do I need to prop the top on the table to finish it?

The Kaboodle / Think Timber are a bit on the pricier end of the spectrum. I really like the 2200 x 600 x 26mm Acacia Solid Oiled Hardwood Project Panel and 2200 x 600 x 26mm Beech Laminated Panel, does Bunnings do them in 75mm depth? 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @durianhead

Unfortunately, both your timber choices don't come in the 750mm size. The only way you'll be able to get the 750mm size is by cutting down a 900mm benchtop. Or you take the 2200 x 600 x 26mm Acacia Solid Oiled Hardwood Project Panel and 2200 x 600 x 26mm Beech Laminated Panel as is.

If you're planning on more D.I.Y. projects, investing in a Craftright Folding Metal Leg Saw Horse is worth its weight in gold. I can't count the number of times I've had to use Saw Horses for my projects. Otherwise, you can use chairs or put them on an equally sized table. Just make sure to use a painter's heavy-duty drop sheet to prevent new paint from accidentally falling onto your table and chairs. 

Eric

Thanks again Eric for the helpful response! The Folding Metal Leg Saw Horse is something I'll definitely get!

Do you know if I'd be able get Bunnings to cut the 900mm down to 750mm for me?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @durianhead

Unfortunately due to health and safety reasons, the stores can't cut benchtops. However, this is an excellent opportunity for you to purchase a circular saw and cut the benchtop yourself. You can even use the benchtop offcut as a shelf in your office. Please remember to find a spot where you can leave your benchtop safely. This is so that it will not be exposed to rain or wind so that you can get the best finish possible.  

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to restore wooden furniture

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects