Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Advise for hanging 25kg heavy bag from pergola

goncoza
Getting Established

Advise for hanging 25kg heavy bag from pergola

Hi Guys,

I recently got a heavy bag for my birthday and hang it from our pergola in the backyard; as I started exercising with it came to realise that it gets very noisy every time I punch/kick the bag. Perhaps is nothing to worry about and the noise is normal, given that the roof is of a plastic like material; in any case, Both my wife and I are wondering whether the pergola structure is sound enough for holding the weight and the motion of the swinging bag... At this point I am not using the heavy bag anymore, to avoid people getting too nervous...

It would be great if anyone can provide any advice/thoughts :smile:  

Details:

The heavy bag is 4 feet long but only 25kg

I have an average height/weight (175cm/ ~80kg), so it is not like the Rock or Chris Hemsworth is punching the bag :smile:

I am attaching a few photos of the setup; (note1: please do not mind my terrible quick and dirty knot ; note2: ignore the purple string in one of the photos, it was to mark a possible location of where the bag would go; at the end, I decided to place the bag in the cross-section of two beams)

The part I am worried about the most with this setup is one of the ends of the beam that the heavy bag hangs from (see the last pic); so any particular thoughts/comments about it are particularly welcomed   

goncoza_0-1640580322139.pnggoncoza_1-1640580370309.png

goncoza_2-1640580399484.png

goncoza_3-1640580426178.png

goncoza_5-1640581010987.png

Re: Advise for hanging 25kg heavy bag from pergola

Hey @goncoza that's the style of attachment, but I'd rather that there wasn't any hang from the bottom of the beam to the shackle. I just had a quick look and found this hook for attaching bags to beams, could be worth a look.

Re: Advise for hanging 25kg heavy bag from pergola

Hi @tom_builds , thanks for the link; it is totally clear what you meant. I'll definitely look into it 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects