Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Any advice for building a deck?

dominickumar185
Just Starting Out

Any advice for building a deck?

I want to build a deck for the first time and I need any tips or tricks that could help. it is a simple ground floor deck and its not attached to the house, I've done my research and i am very similar with everything but it is my first time doing it and I would like to know if there is any tips from someone that is more experienced. Anything would be greatly appreciated.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Any advice for building a deck?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @dominickumar185. We're pleased to have you join us and look forward to seeing your decking project come to life. We're confidence you will get loads of ideas, inspiration and helpful advice from our wonderful members.

If you haven't already seen it, the best place to start is here - How to plan out your deck. You'll notice it is part of a comprehensive seven-part series on How to build a deck.

We also have terrific how-to guides for deck projects here on the Workshop community, including Mitch's How to build a deck, as well as plenty of inspiration such as our Top 10 most popular deck projects and Inspiring low-level deck builds.

I think you will find that broad questions like you have posed first up are difficult for our members to answer as there are so many aspects to building a deck. I would strongly recommend you come back with a clear plan of what you'd like to achieve, some photos of the area and perhaps a sketch of your proposed structure. Once you have more of a idea on what you'd like to achieve, I'm sure our helpful community will be more than happy to assist with any specific questions you have along the way. We're here to help. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Any advice of building a deck?

Hi @dominickumar185

Thanks for sharing your question about advice on building a deck. My number one suggestion before you begin your project is to plan it on your computer or with pen and paper. You can use whatever drawing software you like, but what's important is that you make a list of materials you'll need and the steps that you need to take in order to build your deck. Having a plan will save you from guesswork and you'll be able to determine the amount of time you'll be spending on the build.

If you happen to have any questions while planning your deck, please let us know. Our members will be more than happy to provide you with advice and information.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing the start of your decking project.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects