Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Beekeeping Q&A

Deanna
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Beekeeping Q&A

Hello Everyone!

I noticed some recent posts about beekeeping, so I thought I'd create a thread dedicated to beekeeping.

My partner is a professional beekeeper (Apiarist) with over 2,000 hives scattered throughout NSW.

So if you have any questions or need some tips, feel free to post them here.

bee bio.PNG

BeehivesBeehives

The "B Team"The "B Team"

bee joke.png

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Beekeeping Q&A

Hi @Deanna,

Given the last year we have had I believe many Australias are looking to their gardens not only to improve them aesthetically but also holistically. My question is, do you believe the idea of keeping a beehive is worth entertaining in suburbia? Would the property need to meet any special requirements? For instance, my neighbour has beehives, and I believe the bees need to have an unobstructed flight path in a certain direction out of the yard. 

My interest is not necessarily in the honey harvesting, but more so in bringing additional pollinators to the area. It has tempted me to allow one of our local Apiarists to use my yard as it backs onto bushland. Their promise is free honey, and they'll tend to the hive, which doesn't sound like a terrible deal at all.

I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

Oh I am so happy to see this   !!!!!! Thank You so much for starting this thread 🐝🐝🐝

Deanna
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

@MitchellMc   

I'll see if I can answer some of these questions, the rest I'll divert to my partner,  BK (Beekeeper  LOL)

" Would the property need to meet any special requirements?"

NSW DPI information about backyard beekeeping can be found here:
DPI Backyard Beekeeping 

Victoria  information can be found here:
Beekeeping for beginners 

WA information can be found here:
Beekeeping for small landholders in Western Australia 

QLD information can be found here:
https://www.business.qld.gov.au/industries/farms-fishing-forestry/agriculture/niche-industries/beeke... 

" the bees need to have an unobstructed flight path in a certain direction out of the yard"

Not necessarily, some backyard beekeepers deliberately face the hive entrance towards a wall, shrubs, etc... to force the bees flight path up and over people's heads, once at that height their flight path would be unobstructed.  

Deanna
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

For anyone interested in doing the Biosecurity for Beekeepers Course, which they do recommend for backyard keepers, information can be found here:

What is the Biosecurity for Beekeepers course? 

You can go directly to the course here:
BOLT: Honeybee Biosecurity  

I did it with minimal knowledge and it took me about 90 mins 

VegaNano
Growing in Experience

Do you plant flowering items for the bees-? I'm wondering what NASTURTIUM honey would -" bee🐝🐝-" like,they love it & it's multi health talents🐝🐝

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects