Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Best method to fix a crack in brick fence?

Col8
Finding My Feet

Best method to fix a crack in brick fence?

I have 2 cracks in different areas of the front fence and would like to know what is the best product to fix it. The brick fence is only 600mm in height.

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Best method to fix a crack in brick fence?

Hi Col.

Dunno if this is the perfect product - but it worked extremely well for me on a brick fence...

20220305_094534.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Col8. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about repairing a brick fence.

Are the cracks following mortar lines or through the bricks? Is the fence painted? @Noyade has mentioned Lanko 5kg 136 Rapid Patching Mortar, and it's a perfect product for the job. If the crack follows the mortar lines, you might like to chase it out, removing any loose material with a Kango Multi Use Joint Knife. This will open up the crack and allow you room to fill with the patching compound.

If this is an unpainted brick wall and the cracks are through the bricks, then you might like to mix in some oxide to the patching cement to mimic their colour better. Alternatively, we have a range of mortar repair fillers that remain flexible once set. If there is a continuous movement to the wall, these could be a good option as they won't re-crack as a cement-based filler would.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Col8
Finding My Feet

Thanks Noyade I’ll give that a try.

Hi Mitchell,

The cracks follow the mortar lines and it has been rendered. So once I fill the cracks, I’ll render the fence again. Do you have a render like paint?

Cheers,

Col

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

We do have a render-like paint @Col8Dulux 10L Texture Full Cover Exterior Paint is a gritty viscous paint that mimics a render finish. It sounds like a good option, especially if the rest of the wall is looking a bit tired.

Mitchell

Hi Mitchell. I’ll get some of that paint when I’ve filled the cracks.

Thanks for your help.

regards Col

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Keep us updated on your project @Col8 and reach out if you need further assistance.

Mitchell

Col8
Finding My Feet

Thanks Mitchell will do

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects