Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Bunnings and Gasmate accessories

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Bunnings and Gasmate accessories

A few years back I bought on clearance at BigW one of those mushroom looking outdoor gas heaters.

During operation a few family members believed they could smell gas.

I did the soapy water trick - but never found any bubbling.

These.PNG

Then the other night when I had it operating, again, people could smell gas.

This time I pulled it completely apart and did the soapy trick, and yes, I found a significant leak at the site indicated on the regulator. There was a bonding agent on the thread that had perished (got worse with time?) and tightening the joint didn't help.

20220513_114548.jpg

The heater really requires the gas hose to enter the stem at 90 degrees to the gas outlet.

I couldn't find anywhere in town that sold this type of regulator. Trade stores, camping supplies and not even Barbecues Galore.

Went to Bunnings. I'm not a big online shopper.

Impressive Gasmate accessories display.

Very helpful Bunnings staff member served me.

We found the regulator I required with the appropriate new hose whose kit provided the correct sized threaded connections.

Easily fitted.

Better that the original fittings/hose

No leaks.

So, just a post to say thanks to Bunnings and to a very helpful team member! :smile:

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Bunnings and Gasmate accessories.

Excellent pick-up and resolution @Noyade. I'm also pleased to hear you received excellent assistance in-store.

A note for our members on gas fittings: It's always best to employ the services of a qualified gas fitter/plumber to connect gas fittings for you. Although it is a D.I.Y. connection from the hose regulator to the gas bottle, everything after that point should be left to a professional. Gas fires can be devastating, and you should never risk your safety or the safety of those around you. 

I'd recommend that everyone consider a Garth Gas Safety Gauge, which cuts off the gas flow in the case of a significant leak and is convenient for checking how much gas is left in the bottle. So, no more running to your local Bunnings store in the middle of a BBQ. 

Also, as @Noyade has pointed out, it's always important to regularly check your gas connections to ensure no leaks. It's best to do this periodically, especially after the unit has been stored.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Bunnings and Gasmate accessories

Hi @Noyade 

I'm glad you got the parts you were after. If you do get another incidental leak in the future, I suggest using Gastite 12mm x 10m Yellow Threadseal. It will provide a positive seal against any gas leaks.

Eric

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Thanks Eric and Mitchell!

I'm gonna get that soapy spray and tape.

That's why I love this site - providing new products - to me.

👍

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@Noyade,

To clarify @EricL's advice above, do not ever use thread tape on a cone V-style connection as featured on the rear of the regulator and commonly found on bbq and outdoor heater hoses. That style connection seals via corresponding milled internal surfaces. Adding thread tape to a cone connection will cause the mated internal surfaces to be backed off and it will start leaking through the fitting instead of the threads. 

Mitchell

fitting.png

Hi Mitchell.

"cone connection"

I think I understand what you mean. But that doesn't appear on the regulator I bought the other day?

The regulator I bought is this one.

At the back is an internal thread for the hose.

I thought with this scenario tape would be imperative?

Regulator.PNG

Mitchell.PNG

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

That's it, @Noyade. Male and female thread needs thread tape, but those with a cone connection do not. The other end of the hose has a cone connection.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects