Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can I build a deck from pallet wood?

shar1
Finding My Feet

Can I build a deck from pallet wood?

Is it possible to do some outdoor decking using pallets?

I luved the pallet guy recycling pallets into amazing pieces! Fabulous 

Shar 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: pallet decking

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @shar1. It's fabulous to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about using pallet wood for decking.

It's certainly possible to use pallet wood for your decking timber. I'd recommend using pallet wood only on a low-level deck as it's not graded to ensure strength, and it wouldn't be safe for an elevated deck. 

You'll need to do a decent amount of sanding with a belt sander to achieve a smooth result, or you could always go with a rustic look. Since you'll be using many pallets for your project, I recommend purchasing a Mumme Reno Bar, as they are fantastic for pulling apart pallets. It will save you a lot of time and frustration.

Check out Low-level decks using recycled pallet timber by @Arcc and Clothesline decking made from pallets by @LePallet to see some amazing work. Also, have a look at our Top 10 most popular pallets projects for more inspiration.

I look forward to seeing your project come together. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
shar1
Finding My Feet

Re: Can I build a deck from pallet wood?

Thanks Mitchel ! 
I will keep doing some research..let me know if u know someone that’s interested?

cheers

Shar

Re: pallet decking

Thanks Mitchell !!

im new to this platform so apologies for the delay !

thanks so much for ur input 

stsy tuned for the next project 

🙏🤩🤩

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects