Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can standard kitchen cabinetry be used outdoors in a covered area?

baltoi79
Getting Established

Can standard kitchen cabinetry be used outdoors in a covered area?

Hey, we are planning to build an outdoor kitchen and BBQ area in our patio and am just looking for a bit advice so we can get the ball rolling. The area is well covered and we are just wondering if we could get away with using standard (indoor) kitchen cabinets? We do stay in central Queensland and it does get a bit humid through the summer months. We are thinking about the indoor units due to cost and looks as buying actual outdoor units is pretty costly. My other option would be to build from scratch.

any info would be greatly appreciated 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Can standard kitchen cabinetry be used outdoors in a covered area?

Hi @baltoi79,

Kaboodle's cabinets can be used outdoors and must be installed in a covered space to protect them from the elements. Their cabinets are moisture-resistant, not waterproof, so installing them in an undercover area is very important. As in a kitchen, it is fine to have water splash on the cabinetry occasionally, but it's always best to dry it off as soon as possible. If water ends up pooling on your alfresco kitchen cabinets, it could then find its way into the carcass. A benchtop that completely encompasses the cabinetry will add another layer of protection. 

Kaboodle doors are sealed on all edges and provide significant protection against water ingress. Cheaper cabinetry doors tend to have laminate on all edges, but moisture can easily penetrate the joints and corners. You might like to check out this previous discussion on Outdoor Kaboodle Kitchens.

If you do decide to go with cabinetry designed for exterior use, which might be a good idea if you experience high levels of humidity, then I can highly recommend the AlfrescoPlus range. They use waterproof panels that will not swell or distort, are UV resistant and are covered by a 15-year structural warranty.

I'll be looking forward to following along with your project. Please let me know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects