Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can tempered glass withstand heat?

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Can tempered glass withstand heat?

Good morning!

Seeing the words 'Tempered Glass' on outside furniture - does it mean it can withstand heat - like oven glass?

20220711_101940.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Can tempered glass withstand heat?

Typically, tempered glass can withstand higher temperatures than annealed glass @Noyade. However, I believe tempered glass explicitly manufactured for high temp applications has different properties than something you'd find in a shower screen. So, I wouldn't go using the tempered glass from your outdoor furniture as a new and trendy fireplace screen.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Mitchell!

What about the heat from a mini-barbeque?

Bought this (cocktail?) trolley for $20.

🤔

20220710_130248.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

I guess it depends on how hot the glass becomes @Noyade. I suspect it will be fine, but it's hard to know.

Mitchell

Thanks @MitchellMc 

I eventually decided to dispense with the tempered glass. Bought two sheets of this...

BunningsBunnings

I also cut a hole for the bottom steel support ring on the gas cylinder. Much better that steel grating on glass.

See how we go.

20220711_154550.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Noyade

I agree with @MitchellMc on the tempered glass, each safety glass product is rated for a particular use. If you'll be putting a BBQ on top of that timber piece, I suggest using a ceramic tile as a buffer against the heat. 

Eric

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

G'day Eric! @EricL 

I conducted some "Mythbusting Experiments" over the weekend.

I'm no thermodynamics engineer or barbecue designer - but it appears there is little to no heat projected from the bottom of the barby, even with the legs down - or at least this one.

I felt the wood after boiling a large pot of water on the grill (took 30 minutes) and later - cooking cheeseburgers for the same time.

The wood felt like a car's bodywork in the sun on a cold day. I wonder if this is why large barbecues have cabinet space under the burners - 90% of the heat is projected upwards? 🤔

Mind you, the atmospheric temperature is cold - I haven't tried a hot summer's day yet.

But I'm happy. I also welded up a stir-fry 'barrier' for the plate.

Cheers and thanks for looking.

Graeme.

Onion trap insituOnion trap insitu

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Love that stir-fry barrier @Noyade! Great thinking.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects