Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can you paint outdoors in Canberra winter?

Cider
Building a Reputation

Can you paint outdoors in Canberra winter?

Can I paint my gutters and/or outside brick walls, fences etc in winter in Canberra? Not only low temperatures but also dew and frost here most days. 

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Painting in winter

G'day Cider.

Living not far from you, I have painted outdoors with Dulux Roof and Trim with success during cool days - just be prepared for a slower drying time.

But they do recommend the temperature being above 10 degrees C.

What's the present temperature in Canberra?

Presently clear skies outside here, expecting a top of 14 degrees C - good luck!

20220529_104930.jpg

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Internal paint as well - 10 degrees C.

20220529_104959.jpg

*Disclaimer - I am not a professional painter - nor can I read paint instructions very well*

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Cider,

It's great to see @Noyade has already provided some helpful advice.

Painting in cold or wet weather is not recommended. This includes temperatures below 10 degrees or if you are expecting dew.

If you want to go ahead with your project, it's best to check the weather forecast. Exposure to rain or overnight dew whilst drying might result in the coating being damaged or removed. At this time of year, it's a little bit tricky in colder areas. There's a good chance of success if you get some back-to-back warmer days without dewy nights. However, if this isn't an urgent project, it would be my advice to wait until after Winter.

Please let us know if you have questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects