Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Cleaning concrete

jbodey
Just Starting Out

Cleaning concrete

Driveway.png

Hi

I am wanting to clean unsightly oil and general stains off of my concrete driveway. What is the best way to go about this? 

Thanks

John

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Cleaning concrete

Hi John (@jbodey)

A very warm welcome to the Workshop community. Thanks for joining the discussion. I'm sure you will find our members to be the source of plenty of helpful information and inspiration. 

You might find these previous discussions useful to get started:

Thanks again,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MartyH
Amassing an Audience

Do you have a pressure washer @jbodey?

jbodey
Just Starting Out

I do but it is very slow and tedious work. It is difficult to get rid of all the stains and the area needed cleaning is about 6 X 18 m

I am wondering if there is a good chemical solution available. 

John 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for the update John (@jbodey)

Do have a look at @Stephen-H's suggestion of Oxalic Acid on this discussion - https://www.workshop.com.au/t5/Interiors/Removing-Stains-From-Concrete/m-p/13662

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Isobel
Amassing an Audience

I would start off with just hot water and detergent and a stiff brush first. That way you don't do any damage to nearby plants or get any chemicals into the stormwater. Good luck @jbodey.

MartyH
Amassing an Audience

I understand @jbodey. A pressure washer can be a little slow. But it is better than having to scrub on hands and knees! 

You might find this helpful - https://www.bunnings.com.au/diy-advice/outdoor/paths-and-landscaping/how-to-remove-oil-stains

It includes a link to a lot of different degreasers.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects