Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Crazy paving

ElissaC
Growing in Experience

Crazy paving

A successful crazy paving DIY project complete! 

Screen Shot 2017-08-29 at 8.11.29 pm.png

Image.png.jpeg

Big transformation for our outdoor living area ... 

Screen Shot 2017-08-29 at 8.11.12 pm.png

Natasha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Crazy paving

Wow looks amazing! Great Job @ElissaC
See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for sharing @ElissaC and a very warm welcome to Workshop. It's fantastic to have you join the community. I'm looking forward to reading about more of your projects and plans. I trust you will also find plenty of inspiration and helpful advice here on the site from other community members.

Please let me know if you ever need a hand getting the most from the site.

Jason

Kermit
Amassing an Audience

What stone did you use @ElissaC?

ElissaC
Growing in Experience

We used Serpentine Limestone @Kermit

Ben
Making a Splash

Wow this looks amazing. What a transformation. Well done!
Stephen-H
Building a Reputation

That is fantastic @ElissaC
wronskipaula
Growing in Experience

Hi Jason

The crazy paving looks outstanding! I love It - I would like to do a project also.

4 x 3.2 alfresco area on concrete.

please advise as my enquiries have led to my mate the Tiler’s he is worried about the sharp edges?

(i.e with ceramic tiles, they are outdoor non slip variety.)

and the grouting - non shrinking formula too please?

looking forward to your advice.

thank you Paula 

Hi Paula (@wronskipaula)

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. We're really pleased to have you join us and are looking forward to reading more about all your projects and plans for around the house and garden.

Let me tag @ElissaC for you to see if she might have some tips for you from her project. The wonderful @MitchellMc will also be more than happy to assist when he is back on the site on Friday. Many thanks for your patience in the meantime. You might also like to share a photo or two of the area so members can see what you are working with, and also let us know what type of stone you are planning to use.

Please let me know if you ever need a hand getting the most from the Workshop site. We're here to help.

Jason

Hi Paula (@wronskipaula), and many thanks for your questions.

If you choose to go with a ceramic tile instead of a natural stone, you'll need to remove the sharp edges of the broken tiles. This would involve taking some 120 Grit Wet And Dry Sanding Sheet and running it along the exposed tile edges until the sharp burr has been removed. Make sure you wear appropriate safety gear, including glasses and rubber gloves. It's also a great idea to break the tiles over a plastic sheet to contain any chips.

For the grout, I would suggest using Dunlop 15kg Light Grey Coloured Grout as it is non-shrinking, perfect for joints up to 50mm, suitable for ceramic tiles and ideal for exterior use. Since you are using ceramic tiles, I would encourage you to have the grout finished flush with the tile surface. If the grout is sunken, that will expose the edges of the tiles, and any unsanded sharp areas could cause issues.

I can't wait to follow your project, and I would encourage you to share your progress with the community.

Please let me know if you need further assistance or have questions.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects