Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Deck planning advice

GaryL
Getting Established

Deck planning advice

Hi team,

Firstly, thanks for giving me the confidence to tackle my decking project. With too much time on my hands at the moment the advice and support on this forum has inspired me to tackle this long wanted addition.

The ongoing message is obviously plan, plan, plan ! And with that in mind can I ask some advice on my attached sketch -

To kick off , if there are any glaring mistakes with my plan, please let me know!

Once the frame is complete I intend to use Ekodecking as this is a rental property I need as little ongoing maintenance issues as possible.
With all the advice I’ve taken on board, I plan to utilise the two concrete slab areas and attach the joists with ‘L’ bkts and spacers.

Q1 - what size joists should I use and what spacing between them? I’ve worked on 450mm.

Moving from the patio onto the soil area I planned to concrete supports into the ground to support the cross bearers

Q2 - what size bearers and what spacing between them? I’ve worked on 750mm.

Once I’ve got those materials and info. locked in I can fine tune the plan.

Deck PlanDeck Plan

Cheers,

Gary

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Deck Planning Advice

Most definitely @GaryL.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
GaryL
Getting Established

Hi @MitchellMc 

Quick question as I’m getting conflicting advice.

Can you confirm which stirrup I should use off the slab to support the joists.

Distance is 180mm from the ground to 90 x 45 timber.

I intend to concrete them in, as suggested.

Pic supplied ( Not the actual timber I’m using - just used to get a level and idea of  stirrup length)

AE68965F-8122-4298-A208-EE9180C6E996.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @GaryL,

You almost gave me a heart attack when I saw that blue timber. Just to satiate my concern, please make sure you are using H3 outdoor framing timber and not H2 internal framing timber.

With that 200mm height, you'd likely need to use something like the Pryda Post Anchor Full Stirrup 600 x 90mm M10. You can add a block of 45mm timber so you can bolt straight through the 90mm post gap at the top. 

Mitchell

GaryL
Getting Established

Perfect @MitchellMc 

Yes, I thought I’d start by confirming all your advice wasn’t in vain 😩!

Just struggling to get supplies of framing at the moment, so getting as prepared as possible. 

Thanks as always

Gary

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Another way you could do the support is with a short anchor and a timber post @GaryL. Likely more work that way, though.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects