Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Decking over concrete and pavers between fence and wall

some1myself
Finding My Feet

Decking over concrete and pavers between fence and wall

I need to make timber decking. Need to make decking between colorbond fence and bulilding wall. The mesurement is 9000mm  by 3500mm. My question how much clearance I need to keep from the fence ?

What Should I use for over conrete and achor ?
Can I use timber footing above soil as I have some area post will be over soil.

For the frame I am thinking
Joist 120by 45 (H3)
Bearer 140by 45(H3)
Bearer 90x45 (H3) concrete area.
Post/stumps 100x100(H4) I need your opinion...as people saying timber is not good above soil.
Also should I make the separately ? Shoul I make post first and separately do frame ? silly me. 

Please help ... will upload picture later. 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Decking over concrete and pavers between fence and wall

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @some1myself. We're pleased to have you join us and trust you'll get loads of inspiration and assistance for all your projects around the house and garden from our wonderful community members.

It would be great if you could share some photos of the area so members can see what you are working with. A simple plan or sketch might also help members understand your plans. 

Let me tag one of our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. experts in @EricL to assist you as soon as possible.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @some1myself

It's great to hear that you've decided to build your own deck. I suggest having a look at this guide - How to build a low-level deck by @Adam_W. The guide will show you the steps you need to consider when planning your own deck. 

Let me try and answer some of your questions:

• Because you have such a large deck, I suggest visiting your local council and asking them about the rules and regulations about building a deck near your fence. Your local council will have information about how far your deck needs to be from your fence.

• To anchor your deck to a cement surface, I suggest using a galvanized post anchor or similar.

• You can use timber as a footing over the soil. As long as it is treated H4 for inground use. Ordinary non treated timber will not work. 

As for the remainder of your questions, I suggest getting pen and paper and drawing up your plan first. Once you have an idea of what the frame will look like you can then start to consider what type of framing timber to use.

Here is a link for ideas and inspiration: Inspiring low-level deck builds.

Here are some fantastic low-level deck projects our Workshop members have shared:

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

Thank you for your answer. I will talk with council & follow your advice.

Keep us updated on your project @some1myself, and reach out if you need further assistance. We're here to help.

Mitchell

some1myself
Finding My Feet

I talked with the council its all good as long as I keep distance 0.6mm distance from fence. I stuck with other things. Now I am thinking to use tuff block for the post, instead of digging or anchoring. Share your thoughts. Joist in situation_1600px.jpegPost in situation_1600px.jpeg

Hi @some1myself,

Would that be 600mm or 0.6m instead of 0.6mm? 0.6mm seems like a tiny and odd measurement.

Tuff Blocks would certainly be an option worth considering. Once you compact the soil, these blocks will save you plenty of work. Since this is such a large deck, I presume you're submitting plans for council approval, and you'll need to speak with them to determine whether you can use this method. I suspect they'll be fine over the concreted area, but the council might require inground concrete foundations where the deck is over the soil.

Also, have a look at pedestal feet. They are adjustable, letting you set your deck's level just right.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects