Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Dog-proofing gate so it cannot get under it

ryanvanhaalen
Just Starting Out

Dog-proofing gate so it cannot get under it

image.jpg

We are about to get a new small dog. Can anyone suggest a solution so it won't be able to get out under the gate, but we are able to still open and close it?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Dogs proofing gate

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @ryanvanhaalen. It's sensational that you've decided to join us, and many thanks for your question on dog proofing a gate.

The couple of options that I can see are attaching a board to your gate or placing one in the ground. A suitable product would be 150 x 25mm 2.4M Rough Sawn Treated Pine. If you were to level the ground surrounding the gate, then you could attach this board directly to it with screws. Levelling the ground would be needed, so the board has clearance when the gate opens. However, it would be my preference to install the board in the ground. Burying it in the ground might be sufficient, though small brackets attaching the board to the posts will make the installation more permanent. I used this method to secure these boards to over 40 meters of pool fence and the gate. The brackets are a bit rusty after six years, but it is still as solid today as when I installed it.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @ryanvanhaalen ,

having owned an escape-artist dog, and seeing that your path material looks very "digable", my suggestions would be a bit of both of@MitchellMc 's suggestions... 

variations would be:-

1. A concrete sleeper dug into the ground across the bottom of the gate. If you can't buy one the right width, consider digging a channel (at least 200mm deep) and pour concrete into it. Make sure the top is at ground level so it's not a tripping point.

2. If need be, add the board as suggested by @MitchellMc  to fill in the bottom gap.

If the dog isn't strong you may get away with putting concrete slabs (perhaps even 1/2 size slabs) at ground level under the gate, to put it off digging. They generally want to dig at the gate itself, so put most of the slab inside the gated area. Place some bricks under the "digging" edge so that your dog is put off trying to undermine the slabs.

Another tip: If you don't want your dog spending its alone-time barking at the gateway, fill in the gaps in the gate. Any dog will protect "their area", which they define as... everything they can see. (Assuming the gate leads to a publicly used area.)

Here's wishing you a happy dog  🐕

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Great solutions there @TedBear! I love the idea of using concrete slabs or pavers, as it's a simple and effective way of solving the issue.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects