Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Fire pit and barbecue in one

kel
Making a Splash

Fire pit and barbecue in one

Recently a coworker asked if I could build him a fire pit, that he could also bbq on . This is what I came up with.

AFC83111-B30E-4E4A-A85A-1E5016D8867F.jpeg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Fire pit and barbecue in one

Looks fantastic @kel, I'm sure he was thrilled with the end result. 

Can you please tell us how you built it as I'm sure other community members will be inspired by what you have done. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
kel
Making a Splash

the firepit was made using 3mm plate steel.i had 3 pieces cut 800mmx600mm and the side pieces were cut 500mmx600mm.then it was just a case of welding it all up to form a box,all the welds are on the inside of the box,giving the outside a nice flush finish.

so that the wood or coals,don't sit on the bottom of the pit,i welded up a grate using rebar and 3mm 40x40mm angle.on the inside front and back walls of the pit ,i welded 3mm 25x25 steel tube for the bbq plates to sit on.i welded 2 sets of these so that the plates could be position at either a high or lower level.the handles are made from some scrap rebar and tubing.air ho;es have been drilled into the sides,and because i had a spit kit that i hadn't used,i decided to install that aswell.i also decided to cut the front panel down about 100 mm and round over the sides,

the base is made out of 50x50 mm angle,welded to form the frame and then some scrape 50x75mm tube welded on to make the legs.

then the project was spray painted with heat resistant paint.

it cost about $130 for the steel and paint,(the spit kit and bbq plates ,i already had ) and all the steel for the base came from scraps that were leftover from previous projects.it was a fun build and i charged my coworker $300.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Awesome project @kel! It looks very solid and ideal for grilling a few steaks. Adding the spit was a nice touch as well.

Many thanks for the additional details, as I trust they will be helpful for anyone wanting to replicate your marvellous project.

Great work.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

That looks......fantastic! :smile:

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects