Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Gutter cleaning tool.

Krusty
Cultivating a Following

Gutter cleaning tool.

G,day idea sharers,looking to attach a gutter scoop to a long handle for cleaning of gutters from the ground (I don’t like heights) I can’t wash them out as I need to scoop first any ideas the scoop will have to be stepped out to get around gutter edge,cheers Krusty.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Gutter cleaning tool.

Hi @Krusty,

Would you consider having a tradesperson give the gutters a good clean out and then installing gutter guard? This would be a onetime cost, and then it would be straightforward to brush off any debris from the ground.

Since gutters were created, product manufacturers have been trying to come up with such a tool. The very nature of scooping up and out of a channel above head height is difficult. As you have mentioned, the tool would need a gooseneck. 

Here's my contribution to the discussion. You could bolt a Pinnacle Large White U Hook with its mounting tab bent out to the handle of a Spear & Jackson Gutter Scoop. You'd then be able to bolt the hook to a Hy-Clor 4.5m Telescopic Pole.

Let me mention @TedBear and @redracer01 to see if they can think of any ideas.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

That's an impressive picture of the device design! I am not a fan of Gutter Guard... in my experience it lets small debri drop through, which can form into a thick mud, unless you check on it and wash it out regularly. If you don't, then you have to remove the GG to clean the hard mud out. But it depends on what the main problem (type & size of debri) to be solved is.  And you couldn't use the long handled scoop idea easily with GG fitted.

Wouldn't the extension scoop be fantastic with a camera attached - all high tech? (I can't contribute much more because I prefer to get on the roof with a brush & hose & see that it is clean, which isn't the method wanted in this discussion. )

Krusty
Cultivating a Following

I will build myself one of these Bunnings should sell them,I will have to manoeuvre around gutter supports as I have full gutters(no fascia)that attach from inside gutter,Cheers,great response and help,Krusty.I need to find a tree removalist now any direction that way would be appreciated.

pstq
Having an Impact

Late reply. I suspect a long handled scoop might be difficult to manoeuvre. I've been meaning to build a gutter vacuumer like this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=-cRUheSAXM4

The downfall of all these ideas is that there's always variations in the size of the gap between the roof and the edge of the gutter, so in some places they can't fit, and you have to be up there to work around it. I thought the vacuum idea at least could work with a narrow nozzle.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects