Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Help with building a deck over existing concrete and paved area.

Jewlzey
Getting Established

Help with building a deck over existing concrete and paved area.

Hello, I've just discovered the workshop and hope I'll be able to get some help with a home project.  I'm hoping to be able to deck over my existing entrance way.  As you can see in my terrible photos below I have a curved concrete slab at my front door surrounded by small pavers.  I'd love to know if I can deck on top of it without removing any of it?  If it is possible I need all the help and advise I can get as so far all of my research is telling me it's likely not possible.  Also there is only a very small step up into my house so not a lot of room to play with.

Thank you!!

Front entranceFront entrance

left side of front doorleft side of front doorsize of existing gapsize of existing gap

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Help with building a deck over existing concrete and paved area.

Welcome to the Workshop community @Jewlzey. Many thanks for your question, I'd be happy to start the discussion.

Even low-level decks have limitations and I believe we might have found it here. I've spent some time doing research to see if there is anything suitable which could be directly fixed to the concrete, but even synthetic Ekodeck still needs ventilation under it. The obvious limiting factor is the height of the doorway sill, from the photos it looks to be around 35mm. This just doesn't come anywhere near the distance required for adequate ventilation on a deck. 

I'd be interested to hear if any of our knowledgable members had some ideas, let me mention @Brad and @ProjectPete to see if they would like to contribute to the discussion.

The only real option I can think of apart from removing all the pavers and concrete slab is to remove the area where the concrete slab is. This would leave you with a sunken portion of deck at the entrance. By lowering the area outside the door, say two meters square so the deck ends flush with the sill, you could then have a 100mm step up to the higher deck for the rest of the area.

I look forward to hearing what our member's thoughts are.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

I understand what you’re saying and sadly this project is not looking like an easy fix at all. I love the step up idea but I was trying to avoid steps as I need the entrance to be wheelchair accessible. Currently we use a small portable ramp to get up the small existing step up. 

So if I need to remove the concrete slab what tools would I use? It is flush against two sides if the house 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Jewlzey,

demolition hammer is the tool for the job. It might be worth hiring one if it's only going to be used for this job. I would encourage you to set about making a plan for the construction of the deck first though, which I trust our helpful members will be able to assist with. It would also be a good idea to lift a few of those pavers to see what's going on underneath, so there are no hidden surprises like an additional concrete slab.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

Google images failed to find me a sunken deck that I could see as being an attractive shortcut.

Being the proud owner of a SDS+ drill I could chip away at the concrete but it would be slower than a dedicated demo hammer.

It appears there is only the one slab, thank you for suggesting we check as it reminded me we had 4 slabs in our back yard after lifting pavers many years ago. 
I’ll look into the hiring the equipment needed thank you. 

ProjectPete
Kind of a Big Deal

Sorry @Jewlzey but I can really only echo what's already been said at this point - the clearance is required so the slab and pavers need to go. 

Planning/prep is definitely key here and having the right tools. An SDS drill will do the job, albeit it a bit of extra work compared to a demo hammer, but you may even find a cheap second hand one which you could use for other projects in future.

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo

I appreciate the time you’ve taken to respond. Such a shame this isn’t a knock together project. I definitely want to do it right the first time so it will all come out. 
I’ll look into the SDS drill, thanks for the recommendation. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects