Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Hidden pool pump and filter

ProjectPete
Kind of a Big Deal

Hidden pool pump and filter

I'm writing about my custom pool design in a separate post but felt this aspect needs a specific post for itself. I want to hide my pool pump (1.5hp) and cartridge filter, and I want to hide it underground. I'm hoping others have done this or at least have some considerations/advice for me.

The deep end of the pool will be set 1m in from the side fence and I plan to build an enclosure like in the pic below which will be approx 0.25-0.35m above the water level and act as the wall of the pool. It'll have varying depths for the pump and filter to make access/servicing as efficient as possible. 1m of space in the enclosure is enough for me to fit in and work on the pump/filter for 'repairs' while general maintenance will be easy to do from the surface. It'll also act as a platform for jumping in.

pumpfilter enclosure.jpg

A question I have is around air flow for the pump - how much does it need? Given the lid/top with be a wooden slatted finish (on hinges), will this allow enough air flow?

TIA

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo
MartyH
Amassing an Audience

Re: Hidden/underground pool pump and filter

Great idea @ProjectPete.

You also going to try to hide the pool cover?

I'd just confirm with the pump manufacturer that you're not going to void your warranty or create any ongoing issues. If you look at enclosures like this - https://www.acousticbox.com.au/ - they don't seem to have a lot of airflow, so you should be right. 

Astral equipment is very commonly used in Australia. This is an answer they give for one of their models which isn't overly specific...

How much clearance do I require around my AstralPool E Series / CTX / BX / FX pump?

1. You should ensure your AstralPool E Series / CTX / BX / FX pump is accessible for maintenance and easily removed for service.
2. Breathing space is important. Your pump should not be crowded which will prevent cooling airflow from fan.  Overheating due to lack of cooling voids warranty.
3. All pumps will operate quieter and perform more efficiently if a straight length of 450mm pipe is plumbed horizontally into the front of the pump.

Original plan was to hide the cover - still plan to, just need to adjust.

Doesn't look like much airflow required...

----------
Handy and helpful

We are designing our pool and exploring creative ways to conceal our pool pump & filter and am wondering if you finished this project?

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for joining in the discussion @Emdub. Let me tag @ProjectPete so he is alerted to your question.

Have you got any plans at this stage that you can share with the community? I would encourage you to hit the Start a discussion button and share your ideas - we have helpful community members sharing ideas, information and inspiration on the site every day, so you should get some great feedback.

Welcome to the Workshop community,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Would be great to see what you're planning @Emdub 

I've installed my pool which includes the underground enclosure for pool equipment. I'm in the process of installing the decking lid for it. I ended up having the framework made up with aluminium and will install gas struts. I've just put the project on hold to enjoy the Xmas/NY break with my family and will get it finished off soon.

Also struggling to find metal fix screws that perfectly match the timber fix screws I've used for the rest of the decking.

----------
Handy and helpful

20191229_140531.jpg

----------
Handy and helpful

Hello,

I was wondering what you did with regards to drainage in the sunken pit? If it rained where does the water go?
thanks.

Thanks for joining in the discussion @Mel5. We're really glad to have you join the community. Please let me tag the amazing @ProjectPete for you so he is alerted to your question about drainage. 

Please let me know if you ever need a hand getting the most from the site, or have any feedback about how we can make Workshop even more useful for you.

Welcome,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
ProjectPete
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @Mel5, I left provisioning in the side wall (under the control unit) for 50mm drainage pipe which runs out to a soakwell. I also have a submersible pump ready to go if Perth some how managed to receive enough torrential rain that it overflowed the soakwell (highly unlikely).

----------
Handy and helpful

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects