Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How can I snug fit this adaptor with downpipe ?

ppp
Having an Impact

How can I snug fit this adaptor with downpipe ?

Hello Everyone,

Can anyone guide me how to stop this small amount of water dripping from this adaptor (see image B), there is little water escaping from the area where adaptor meets down pipe?

Image - AImage - AImage - BImage - BI just lifted and saw that there is no damage with the pipe fittings. The only problem I see is that top adaptor is not tightly water proof fitted hence the water is dripping from the small gap when it is fitted with down pipe.

Let me know if any questions.

Thanks

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: How can I snug fit this adaptor with downpipe ?

Good afternoon @ppp 

Mmmmm I see what you mean. I dont think I would glue it as then its locked in. Maybe a rubber O ring? Or a few runs around the top of the pipe that is in the ground with the white plumbers tape? That way you can always remove it if needed. The fitting between the pipe and that rbottom fitting  would have to be close so the tape may work.

Dave

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Plumber I am not - but would there a PVC adapter that fits inside the storm-water pipe?  🤔

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @ppp 

Thanks for sharing your question about getting a snug fit with your stormwater downpipe set. I suggest having a look at the 90mm PVC Slab repair coupling. This will allow you to link your downpipe fitting inside the 90mm PVC pipe in the ground. I also recommend using Selleys 290ml Clear Storm Waterproof Gutter And Roof Sealant to seal everything together.  

I'm passing by the store tomorrow and I'll try and get the product number for you. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
ppp
Having an Impact

Thanks EricL. Looks like that product is not there in Bunnings. Google search points me to reece website.

Let me know if you find in bunnings please.

Can I use Protek Type N PVC cement(left over from other project)  instead of Selleys ? Thanks

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @ppp 

I'm sorry but the 90mm slab repair coupling is currently not in stock and has been discontinued. 

In regards to the Protek 250ml Type N Clear PVC Cement For Non Pressure Pipes it will definitely work with the PVC pipes. I recommend giving the ends a good wash with soap and detergent to remove any moss or mould before applying the adhesive.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

ppp
Having an Impact

Hi EricL

I've tried to install as below but the problems is the "Downpipe adaptor" is not fitting tightly with "PVC repair coupling". The Downpipe adaptor slightly bigger than coupling attachment which I bought. 

The good thing is "PVC repair coupling" is sitting tightly on downpipe which is in the slab.

A2.jpeg

Let me know if I'm doing wrongly. 

Do you think I have to fit as shown below which is using Repair coupling upside down ? But then Downpipe adaptor and Repair coupling is of same size so they don't fit each other :unhappy:

B1.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @ppp,

Downpipe fittings require either glue or silicone will suffice. Most of the time, they won't leak without either, but in your case, they obviously are. I'd go back to what you had initially, clean the pipes and either use the solvent cement you have or a wet area silicone. Due to the difficulties of removing a solvent welded joint, I'd recommend you use silicone instead.

If that additional fitting was to work, I believe it would have been @EricL's intention that it was used up the other way so it fitted inside the pipe in the ground instead of over it.

Mitchell

Thanks Mitch, I'm actually editing while replying :smile:

If I use that additional attachment upside down then it does not fit with Downpipe adaptor as both of them are same size.
So either I will have to use glue/cement as per my initial option OR going back to initial setup and using glue/cement with the coupling attachment.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

That's what I thought @ppp. It would require a short piece of pipe to join the current and new adaptor. I don't see much point in that; it just introduces additional leak points. I think you'll find adding silicone to the initial configuration will resolve the issue. The joint isn't under pressure in most situations; the water is just dribbling down the side of the pipe and out the joint as it's not well sealed.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects