Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do i stop possums accessing my roof from my electricity overhead line?

guyfsb
Just Starting Out

How do i stop possums accessing my roof from my electricity overhead line?

lately a nightly occurrence, possum raids via my power line. have tried possum guards on gutters and an all night solar floodlight. i tried to contact ausgrid but they are too busy. Any better ideas?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: how do i stop possums accessing my roof from my electricity overhead line?

Welcome to the Workshop community @guyfsb. I'd be happy to address your question.

Possums are agile creatures and will access your home through whatever means possible. Can I suggest purchasing several Whites 600mm Anti Bird Pest Control Spikes and fixing them around where the powerline meets the house?

Please be advised you are working near 240v electricity and any interference with it can be detrimental to your health.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

thank you...familiar items as I already have them on the guttering. I asked my electrician and he didnt sound too keen. reading online I wasnt sure is asugrid allowed items stuck to power lines? i remember a comment from ausgrid to suggest that i was even liable for any incident.

I am a bit confused

Kermit
Amassing an Audience

Re: How do i stop possums accessing my roof from my electricity overhead line?

I would contact your electricity provider @guyfsb. I see possum discs on lines in our neighbourhood but have read that some companies don't allow them as they put strain on the equipment. 

I found this an interesting article - http://helpdata.github.io/possum-stop/ - but reckon you are wise to stick with professional assistance. You certainly wouldn't want to be messing with your electrical line.  

Atef
Finding My Feet

Buy a possum stopper. There's two types that I know of. One is a piece of tubing that goes over your power supply line. When the possum gets to the tube while crossing over to your house the tube spins and the possum falls off. Unfortunately the possum falls off in your garden anyway. They are illegal for you to fit yourself.

The other is a large disc that slides onto your power line when the possum reaches the disc it can't get past and turns back the way it came.

if you google possum stopper you'll find both. I don't know how much they are I don't know how much to install and I don't know where to buy but they work!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Atef. It's amazing that you've joined us, and many thanks for contributing to the discussion.

Those are some great suggestions on limiting possum access to your property. It sounds like you've had to deal with this issue before.

We look forward to hearing all about your projects and plans around the home and garden and would encourage you to let us know if you ever need assistance or would like to share then with us. I trust you'll find plenty of inspiration for your projects within the community as our clever and creative members share their ideas here every day.

Mitchell

Hi - I have tried those spikes and can tell you that they don't work

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @freddy33. It's great to have you join us, and many thanks for your feedback on bird spikes.

Have you had any success with other methods that you could share with our members, or are you still searching for a solution to your issue? Perhaps if you let us know a little about your situation, our knowledgeable members will be able to assist you in controlling those pesky possums.

Mitchell

Herrenovacation
Having an Impact

Hi @guyfsb 

I have tired the spikes, outdoor ultrasonic repeller and the spray you can buy from bunnings, unfortunately none of them worked for me.  

I have heard about the tube and disks that goes over your power supply line, but not had much luck with enquiry's about installing them. 

I am about to install a possum box in hope i can coax it out of my roof into the box but not sure how much luck I will have. 

My neighbours ended up moving their powerline underground costly but they don't have to worry about it at all anymore. 

Let me know if you ended up having any luck. 

Hello @Herrenovacation 

Perhaps it's time to engage the services of a licensed professional to trap, remove and relocate the possum. Since you've tried all the suggested methods, I believe hiring a professional is the best way to get rid of the possums.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects