Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How many lumens for floodlight?

Esma
Finding My Feet

How many lumens for floodlight?

Hi - getting twin flood lights around outside of my house for trip hazards and security. How many lumens do I need to stretch as far as possible into the bush and down a long driveway - without being overkill! Also the one I wanted (because its a bit neater & not so “floodlight-ish”) is Brilliant lighting Raptor 2x11W - 750 lumens each bulb, but it says its “not adjustable” - does this mean I can’t direct the bulb heads the way I want them? ie can’t move them? The Details one says “adjustable head” but not very appealing.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How many lumens for floodlight?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Esma. It's fantastic to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about floodlights.

Could you give our members a ballpark figure on how long the driveway is? That detail would be helpful when suggesting the light output needed. A floodlight is designed to spread light as opposed to a spotlight that has a narrower beam and much longer throw. These Raptor floodlights would be fantastic outside a double garage to illuminate the large space directly in front. To sufficiently illuminate a long driveway, you might like to look a secondary light source closer to the end of the drive.

To the best of my knowledge, the bulb heads can be adjusted on all the Raptor flood lights. They all have the same nut that, when loosened, will let the bulb head swivel and pan around. I believe that feature should be marked as Yes for the adjustable lamp head. You can always check with a helpful electrical team member in-store, and I'm sure they'll be happy to verify.

Let me mention our resident electrical experts @MikeTNZ and @CSParnell to see if they have some thoughts.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Mitchell. The product comparison section on the Bunnings website has that Raptor light marked as “not adjustable” whereas the Deta 24W LED security Floodlight has that one marked as “adjustable” head - so I’m trying to figure the difference? Local Bunnings is “out of stock”. Trying to find a descriptive table that shows Lumens and spread of light for outdoor floodlights. Think I’ve found 900 lumens does 100 metres; 1000 does 200m. Where I am in the mountains its a large block going into bush at back and about 50 metres from road at front - so I’ll put in lights that go the furtherest - I won’t be leaving them on and not with sensors as sure that can be set off by possums, wind etc. but its important I can direct the beam on each head into my property so as not annoying to neighbours. Nothing worse then being intruded on by another’s floodlight left on in a natural environment - I’ve had that experience! Driveway bends so bottom entry to road will always be dark! (already had a fall putting the bins out in the wet!) Yes light there would be great but it would require an electrician to put about 50 metres of wiring underground to get from house to mailbox - too pricey for me! Happy to hear from anyone else who has an idea for light there. Solar doesn’t last does it - but I’ve only use garden solar lights so again, open to ideas please.

Hi @Esma 

I installed a few years back a Bunnings Deta product under a carport - a 2 X 12W LED sensor light. One light is aimed at a side door and the other down a driveway easily lighting up around 25-30 metres.

What I didn't know when I bought it and read the instructions is that the sensor is predominately designed to trigger when objects cross rather than move towards it. So people walking a dog down the pavement may trigger it 20 metres away, but the pizza delivery guy may only trip it when within 10 metres from the sensor.

20220703_133602.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@Esma,

The heads/lamps on the Raptor lights are adjustable, and you can direct them where you want. I believe it's an error in the product description saying they are not adjustable.

There is no universal chart that shows the spread of light for floodlights. It comes down to the manufacturer, type of L.E.D. they use, reflector type and light housing. 

900 lumens might reach 100m, but the illumination at that length would be extremely poor if present at all. You should expect most of these floodlights with up to 1000 lumens to illuminate around 30-40m at most. Anything further than that would be considered a dim non-navigable light.

For the far end of the driveway, I'd recommend 12v lighting, which you can install yourself. With a 12v garden light transformer and a length of cable, you'll be able to install whatever 12v lights you want. Over the 50m, you might experience some voltage drop, but if you're just running a couple of lights at the end of the run, it should be fine.

Mitchell

Esma
Finding My Feet

Interesting! Guess that’s why no sensors for me! I’d be out trying to see what set it off! Anxiety provoking. But good for people to know so they could position it for “cross traffic” maybe.

CSParnell
Amassing an Audience

Sorry to come into this late, distance will depend on lumens and angle of beam. The wider the beam the more the light will disperse and won't travel as far.

Bunnings has some sensor solar path lights that come on as you travel in the vicinity of them, this maybe an option as well as they don't discharge the same as a standard solar light.

You also have the option of solar sensor security lights and even Arlec just released a hybrid one as well that could be a good option for the bottom of the driveway.

There are always plenty of options these days just need to get creative.

Iain
Getting Established

Generally 10W & 1,000 lumens per globe is fine but this Arlec model gives a good bang for your buck at 15W & 1,600 lumens per globe. Arlec Twin LED PAR38 Security Flood Light with PIR Motion Sensor - Bunnings Australia It is also DIY with 4m plug in lead so no electrician required. It doesn't seem to matter how much you pay for these sort of things; even the expensive ones don't last if exposed to the elements, so when it does fail, a plug in model won't require an expensive electrician to replace. If you don't have an outdoor power point, rather than have an electrician install a hardwired flood light, get them to install a double outdoor power point and you'll have the added convenience of outdoor power and an easily replaceable floodlight. You can also plug in the 12v transformer for any garden & driveway lighting. 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Many thanks for joining in the discussion and sharing your experience @Iain. Great to see you back on the site. 

Please don't hesitate to post anytime you need a hand or have something to share. 

Jason

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects