Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to anchor a side gate post?

kagomechan
Growing in Experience

How to anchor a side gate post?

I'd like to build a side gate for my yard but I've no idea how to anchor the post on non compacted soil and keep it straight. I'm considering a picket gate, so it shouldn't be too heavy. 

20220802_105215.jpg

Is this an easy diy job or should I leave this to the experts? 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to anchor a side gate post?

Hi @kagomechan 

Thanks for sharing your question about putting a side gate in your fence. To give you a bird's eye view of the process, a fence hole needs to be dug out for the new fence post to be put in. The post is then placed into the hole and concrete is poured in to hold it in place. This new post is then connected to your existing fence line. The rails need to be cut and connected to the new post. The fence in between the posts will now serve as the gate for your fence.

I've placed some images below to give you an idea of what's involved. I recommend that the gate be no smaller than 900mm wide to allow large items to pass through. I suggest using a heavy-duty gate hinge in coordination with an Ikonic Satin Chrome Digital Entry Lock. It provides you with security and the convenience of keyless entry. 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

fence kagomechan1.jpgfence kagomechan2.jpgfence kagomechan3.jpgfence kagomechan4.jpgfence kagomechan5.jpgfence kagomechan6.jpg

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Remarka6le
Amassing an Audience

@EricL 's solution is solid and should give you some consistency with your current fencing. Fixing the new fence to your current fence / house combined with either one (or two) concrete footings should give you a solid gate. 

Remarka6le

Good Morning @kagomechan 

Great ideas and schematics as always from Eric.

I'm a big fan of steel when it comes to versatility and durability so I would adopt Eric's thoughts but for me I'd mount a steel post to the brick wall for the hinged side of the gate. Small hole-saw openings for the bolts to attach to the brick and once in place it's an open canvas for ideas to attach the wooden gate.

Just a thought.

20220831_081532.jpg

kagomechan
Growing in Experience

Thanks for the prompt reply Eric and the drawings as well. How can I fix the new fence to the existing fence and the side of my house? 

Hello @kagomechan

Let me tag @EricL so he is alerted to your question. I'm sure he'll be happy to share his thoughts when he is back online this afternoon.

Thanks,

Akanksha

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @kagomechan

My apologies for the miscommunication, if you are going across from your gate to your house, I recommend mounting another post so that it is well supported and independent of the gate and your house wall. In this manner, no weight is applied to either side and preventing it from getting damaged. I've placed an image below to give you an idea of how you can go across with the same technique.

Please have a look at the sample sketch below and tell me what you think. 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects