Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to attach a waling plate onto fascia for a pergola?

binodn
Finding My Feet

How to attach a waling plate onto fascia for a pergola?

Hi 

I would like to build a pergola. For this I am contemplating fixing a waling plate onto the fascia. 

The waling plate would be 6m long. The pergola size will be 6m x 4m. 

What would be the best way to do this job? Inside the fascia or outside the facia? What should be the minimum thickness of the plate? 

Or would it be b

IMG-3894.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Attaching a waling plate onto fascia for a pergola

Hi @binodn

Just so you know, the fascia isn't a structural member. You won't be fixing to it but fixing through it into the ends of the rafters. So, you'll need to locate the rafters and mark those on your fascia board. Check out this handy step-by-step guide on How to build a pergola frame.

I'd suggest something similar to this 185 x 30mm 6.0m F7 H3 Treated Pine Primed LOSP would be suitable for your waling plate.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Mitchell. This is helpful. Are any sensors available that help locate  the end of the rafters, without opening the roof? 

Alternatively can the waling plate be fixed directly onto the wall just below the fascia. The wall is made of hebel panel. But I wonder if this is structurally safe.  Is it safe?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @binodn

I suppose you could use a stud finder if you ran it on the eve of your roof. But because you don't have an eve your only choice is to remove one of your roof panels. I suggest finding the roof access in your house and having a peek inside and see if you have a timber or steel roof frame. 

Unfortunately, Hebel panels and blocks are not meant to carry any heavy structural weight. I don't recommend mounting your waling panel there. Have you considered building it as a free-standing structure? It would make it a lot easier to build and you won't have to worry about dismantling your roofline.      

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

Thanks Eric for the suggestions.

I initially considered building it as a free-standing structure. However the glass door seems to be quite long. What would you do regarding the middle (third) post  which would be at the middle of the glass door?     

Thanks,

Binod

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @binodn

I suggest looking at the Hyne Span Table from our timber supplier. I recommend engaging the services of an engineer to make sure that you're choosing the correct timbre size that can span three meters across with only two supports and carry a load. But if you feel that the assembly will be too bulky, I suggest considering using steel as the posts.

I recommend having a look at this build - Pergola over low-level deck by @DIYgals. I believe the distance is just about right for your glass door entrance. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects