Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to attach shade cloth to iron gate?

michaelmkchu
Finding My Feet

How to attach shade cloth to iron gate?

I would like to attach shade cloth to an iron gate to increase privacy. The gate's bars are about 1.5 cm in width, which precludes the use of butterfly clips. My place is a rental, so I would prefer a solution that doesn't require any damage to the gate itself.

Is there a way to lay the fabric over the gate and then attach it to itself? I could imagine covering both sides of the gate, for example, and using some strong thread to secure both sides? Anything better than that would be great. 

Thinking of using this product specifically - the holes don't look big enough for a zip tie.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/coolaroo-1-83m-graphite-90-uv-heavy-duty-people-cover-shade-cloth-per-me...

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to attach shade cloth to iron gate?

Hello @michaelmkchu

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you so much for joining us and sharing your question about how to attach shade cloth to an iron gate.

In order for us to get a better idea of how big your gate is, would it be possible for you to post a photo? This will allow us to assess how thick it is and possibly offer you solutions on how to attach the shade cloth. Your suggestion of using zip ties is actually a very good choice. I recommend using Crescent 150 x 3.6mm Black Cable Ties - 25 Pack. It is a heavy-duty zip tie and is UV stable perfect for exterior use.

I recommend threading the zip tie through the shade cloth and flat mounting it to one side of the gate. I suggest a gap of 150mm per zip tie so that you get uniform tension around the gate. Once it's time to leave the property you simply cut the zip ties off with no damage to the gate. It sounds like an interesting project, any updates you can provide would be much appreciated.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

This is the best picture I have below. Do you think the zip ties will fit through the holes in the mesh of the shade cloth? I am not sure how tightly woven it is. And would you recommend I buy enough to cover the front and back, since it's a small gate? I could fold it over the top.

Untitled.png

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @michaelmkchu

Thank you so much for the photo update. For a moment there, I was imagining that it was going to be a huge thick industrial gate that we would be tackling. To put your mind at ease, yes, you can fold it over the top if you wish. I imagine you are trying to keep something inside your garden and not let it out? The tip of the zip tie should be sufficient to punch through the shade cloth. I suggest doing the corners first so the shade cloth will be nice and tight. Then stretch it straight as you attach more zip ties to it.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your gate covered.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Prof
Becoming a Leader

Eric's idea of using the zip ties is a good one and what I would use myself..

It would be difficult to push the zip ties through the shade cloth, so what I would recommend is that you buy an eyelet gun and fix eyelets to the edge of the shade cloth..

That would give you a large enough opening to pass the zip ties through and at the same time would stop any tearing of the edge..

You can buy eyelet guns from hobbyist shops or on ebay..

JoeAzza
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @michaelmkchu 

All great ideas, from @EricL and @Prof , here is another idea , available from Bunnings. It is supplied with a needle and cord.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/coolaroo-25m-lacing-cord-kit-with-needle_p3301495

JoeAzza_0-1638485005437.png

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

"I could fold it over the top."

That's how I see it Michael - making a sort of pillow case for the gate and a couple of strategically placed cable ties on the hinge side once it's in position. A roofing punch could 'spread' holes for the ties.

Would shade cloth be too thick to sew? JoAzza's needle/thread product looks promising. :smile:

Scan0791.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@Noyade,

"Would shade cloth be too thick to sew?". Not at all, especially the 50-70%. The 90% isn't much thicker but has more fibre woven into it. Even still, a needle will easily separate the fibres whilst passing through.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects