Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a deck over concrete and soil?

dsaus33
Finding My Feet

How to build a deck over concrete and soil?

Hi there, looking help to establish decking in patio area at concrete slab and some part on soil .

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Dharm

Hello @dsaus33

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's fabulous to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about building a deck.

Before I make any recommendations, would it be possible for you to post photos of the area where you plan on building your deck and can you please include the proposed size and shape of the deck? This will give our members a chance to assess the area. We can then make suggestions on how to proceed. 

In the meantime, I suggest having a quick look at these guides - How to build a low-level deck by @Adam_W and How to build a deck by @MitchellMc. These guides will come in handy when you begin planning your decking frame.

I also suggest looking at the Bunnings deck-building guide:

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

A5B6BE35-89C2-492A-A1F4-F3742E77762F.jpeg

3C9C459F-685A-4670-A75E-7D332345165D.jpeg

6133676A-14FB-42B4-A7C3-63D753027B0A.jpeg

4246D508-F51D-473F-B049-0B2CE53E39D6.jpeg

Good morning Eric , thanks for replying me back , as you recommend i taken pics and dimensions as well , 

Dimensions are in CMs please have look and advise accordingly , that will be big help , please guide me as i am getting $200 per square quote and its about 23square meter area , please advise approximately money i can save if i will do it myself .

regards 

Dharminder 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @dsaus33

Thank you very much for posting those photos of your proposed decking area. I suggest having a look at this discussion - Low-level composite deck over concrete and soil by @oninpena. This is a very good example of building a decking frame that goes over both concrete and soil. They used 90x45 H3 framing timber for their deck framing. With the space available this might be suitable for your plans.

I recommend sketching out your decking frame on paper so that you'll have an idea of how much material you'll need to assemble your deck. I suggest having a look at the deck-building guides I suggested to help you plan your deck. Building the deck yourself will save you from having to pay for labour. 

The materials you choose for your deck will determine how strong it will be against the elements. Using premium decking materials such as composite decking means that it will not rot and only requires very little upkeep. Using pine on the other hand is an affordable option but requires that you stain and paint it every year. Sanding the deck down will be required when re-staining and painting a timber deck.

Here is a link for ideas and inspiration: Inspiring low-level deck builds

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects