Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a simple outdoor pull up bar?

kylevuong
Just Starting Out

How to build a simple outdoor pull up bar?

Hi guys, I'm first time user here. 

During the lock down my local gym was closed and so as the playground. Therefore I would like to ask about building a simple pull up bar for outdoor use. It looks pretty simple and I think I can do it myself however I'm not sure if I can get all the materials at Bunnings? 

Basically I will need:

2 x 2.7-3 metre wooden post

1 x 2 metre solid steel bar (34-35mm diameter)

Concrete mix

Can you guys let me know if I can have the posts and solid steel bar at Bunnings at these specs? and is there anything else I need to notice before building one? Thanks a lot for your help and stay safe everyone.

119340576_4999584756733651_5176742807624330078_n.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to build a simple outdoor pull up bar?

Hi @kylevuong and a warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop Community. It's fantastic to have you join us and we're confident that you'll get plenty of helpful information, advice and inspiration for all your projects from our clever and creative members. 

Let me tag a few helpful members in @JDE, @Aussie-Garden, @ProjectPete and @DIYology to see how they might go about tackling this interesting D.I.Y. project. 

I'm sure @MitchellMc will also be keen to help with product suggestions when he is back on the site on Friday. Thanks for your patience in the meantime. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Was there any further updates to this? I'm also keen to find out more... Thanks

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @kylevuong,

I seem to have missed your question and I sincerely apologise for the delay in my reply,

I've had a look at our range and unfortunately, we do not stock solid steel bar. We do have ARC 2.4m 32NB Galvanised Steel Pipe but it is hollow. This might be suitable if your intended width was around the one-meter mark, though I could see it flexing over larger distances.

We have the 88 x 88mm 3.0m Premium Wrapped Pine Treated F7 KD H4 DAR and concrete mix available.

Please let me know if you need further assistance or had questions.

Mitchell

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @lombardj. It's great to have you join us and many thanks for your question.

I've now updated the discussion with my response to @kylevuong. As mentioned we do not carry solid steel bar in those thicknesses. An alternative would be to use the hollow bar but consideration would need to be given as to how flexible it is.

We look forward to hearing about the projects you have going on around your house and garden and would encourage you to let us know anytime you need assistance or have something to share. I trust you'll find loads of inspiration within the community as our creative members are posting their projects here every day.

Please let me know if you need further assistance or had any questions.

Mitchell

Hi Michelle, I also would like to build pull up bar at the backyard. Is there anyone, who can visit site to see how to install it. So that I can organise to cover with concrete on the floor to make it stronger.I have attached the sample picture FYI. Sarayu

maskays_0-1626155157977.jpeg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Rancy,

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. We're so pleased to have you join us and trust that you'll get loads of helpful advice and inspiration from all our clever and creative Workshop community members. Please don't hesitate to post anytime you need a hand.

Apologies that this post got caught in our automatic spam filter. Please note I've removed your phone number from your post to protect your privacy. 

Workshop is primarily a D.I.Y. community and our members share advice and experience about how to build things themselves. We'd love to help you achieve this project build. Let me tag our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. expert @EricL who should be able to assist when he is back on the site on Friday. (His colleague @MitchellMc who has assisted others in this discussion is currently on leave following the birth of his son.)

If you believe that the project is beyond your capabilities and want to find a tradesperson to tackle the build for you, we would recommend trying a site like Airtasker or Homepages instead. 

All the best,

Jason

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Rancy

Thank you for sharing your question about how to install your pull-up bar.

If your pull-up bar is brand new did it come with instructions? It will probably have recommendations of how big and deep to dig for the post. If it didn't, it might have an indicator on the side of the post on far it must be buried. However, if they didn't come with any instructions or markers, I suggest engaging the services of a handy person to help you install it. My colleague @Jason suggestion of Airtasker or Hipages is a good place to start.

If you need more assistance or advice, please let us know.

Eric

markh1
Growing in Experience

Was also interested in doing this.  See the timber posts and concrete are available but the steel bars are still absent.  Threaded at both ends is even harder to find.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @markh1

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you for joining the discussion.

Are you looking for a particular size of the pipe? I usually recommend using Brasshards 25 x 1200mm Galvanised Pipe for pull-up bars.

You can get it longer, but I don't recommend going any further as they will start to bow past 1200mm. I suggest putting Brasshards 25mm Galvanised End Cap on both ends to prevent the pipe from sliding out. 

This type of pipe is usually located in the plumbing aisle inside the store.  

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects