Workshop
Start a discussion

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a simple outdoor pull up bar?

Budding Browser

How to build a simple outdoor pull up bar?

Hi guys, I'm first time user here. 

During the lock down my local gym was closed and so as the playground. Therefore I would like to ask about building a simple pull up bar for outdoor use. It looks pretty simple and I think I can do it myself however I'm not sure if I can get all the materials at Bunnings? 

Basically I will need:

2 x 2.7-3 metre wooden post

1 x 2 metre solid steel bar (34-35mm diameter)

Concrete mix

Can you guys let me know if I can have the posts and solid steel bar at Bunnings at these specs? and is there anything else I need to notice before building one? Thanks a lot for your help and stay safe everyone.

119340576_4999584756733651_5176742807624330078_n.jpg

Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to build a simple outdoor pull up bar?

Hi @kylevuong and a warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop Community. It's fantastic to have you join us and we're confident that you'll get plenty of helpful information, advice and inspiration for all your projects from our clever and creative members. 

Let me tag a few helpful members in @JDE, @rattle, @ProjectPete and @DIYology to see how they might go about tackling this interesting D.I.Y. project. 

I'm sure @MitchellMc will also be keen to help with product suggestions when he is back on the site on Friday. Thanks for your patience in the meantime. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Was there any further updates to this? I'm also keen to find out more... Thanks

Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @kylevuong,

I seem to have missed your question and I sincerely apologise for the delay in my reply,

I've had a look at our range and unfortunately, we do not stock solid steel bar. We do have ARC 2.4m 32NB Galvanised Steel Pipe but it is hollow. This might be suitable if your intended width was around the one-meter mark, though I could see it flexing over larger distances.

We have the 88 x 88mm 3.0m Premium Wrapped Pine Treated F7 KD H4 DAR and concrete mix available.

Please let me know if you need further assistance or had questions.

Mitchell

Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @lombardj. It's great to have you join us and many thanks for your question.

I've now updated the discussion with my response to @kylevuong. As mentioned we do not carry solid steel bar in those thicknesses. An alternative would be to use the hollow bar but consideration would need to be given as to how flexible it is.

We look forward to hearing about the projects you have going on around your house and garden and would encourage you to let us know anytime you need assistance or have something to share. I trust you'll find loads of inspiration within the community as our creative members are posting their projects here every day.

Please let me know if you need further assistance or had any questions.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects