Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a simple outdoor pull up bar?

kylevuong
Just Starting Out

How to build a simple outdoor pull up bar?

Hi guys, I'm first time user here. 

During the lock down my local gym was closed and so as the playground. Therefore I would like to ask about building a simple pull up bar for outdoor use. It looks pretty simple and I think I can do it myself however I'm not sure if I can get all the materials at Bunnings? 

Basically I will need:

2 x 2.7-3 metre wooden post

1 x 2 metre solid steel bar (34-35mm diameter)

Concrete mix

Can you guys let me know if I can have the posts and solid steel bar at Bunnings at these specs? and is there anything else I need to notice before building one? Thanks a lot for your help and stay safe everyone.

119340576_4999584756733651_5176742807624330078_n.jpg

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How to build a simple outdoor pull up bar?

Hi @markh1 

"Threaded at both ends is even harder to find."

When I was undertaking the Charles Atlas body-building course (😉) I found the best diameter for a chin-up (they call them pull-ups now?) bar was the same as a barbell - around 25 mm. This reduced hand fatigue around the bar.

My suggestion then is - if they still make the bars with the large threads on the ends - is to drill appropriately sized holes into the timber (and I think you need lengths > 3m to avoid knee flexion) and insert the barbell into each piece hard against the collar and 'lock' into place. This will also give you the exact spacing dimension to dig the holes. With a piece of scrap wood cut to the same dimension as the 'between the collars' measurement and held in place with a cheap sash cramp - we can hold everything in place and in alignment when inserted into the dug holes. And with strategic bracing we can keep the whole apparatus in a perfectly vertical position while the concrete dries.

The 'ribbing' on the barbell will also give you a better grip - as opposed to shiny painted or galvanised bars.

I could so 20 chin-ups years ago - now I can barely tie my shoelaces.

Scan1083.jpg20220727_082328.jpg20220727_082246.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Noyade

I believe I saw that ad at the back of a comic book along with a deal for a bullworker and the chest muscle expander. Thank you for the extra recommendations, I'm sure @markh1 will find it quite useful.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
markh1
Growing in Experience

I found just the bars outside of Bunnings with screw holders.  But I'll grab the supports and concrete from Bunnings.  The supports it's ok to pour liquid concrete around them?  Will they soak up any of the water?

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi Mark @markh1 

I've only played with steel posts - but for me I would personally mix the concrete in a wheelbarrow from scratch and stay away from the 'instant' concrete. I believe the holes need to be deep and not too wide. A hand auger would be very useful - 200 mm diameter and I'd attempt the full length of it - approximately 800mm. So if you buy those 3m wood posts - you'll never be able to hang fully from the bar - you'll have to flex your legs to fit.  For adherence to the concrete I'd place a few well entrenched coach screws into the wood at the bottom - before inserting into the holes.

20220728_085607.jpg

Avoid digging a sort of shallow crater that you see at the end of uprooted street signs - easily uprooted by athletic individuals early on a Saturday morning.

Scan1084.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @markh1

I totally agree with all of @Noyade's recommendations, he's also done a fantastic illustration of what would happen if you don't put the post deep enough. To get good drainage at the bottom of the post make sure to put drain gravel first then place the post on top before you drop the concrete in. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

markh1
Growing in Experience

So if I'm getting the poles mentioned how deep should they be in the hole?  Drilled screws into the poles is a great idea.  

Was there math for this "% of height into ground"

Got 5 poles, not instant concrete from Bunnings.

Bought 3outdoor chinup bars long from southside fitness.

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi Mark @markh1 

I only based my comments above on what I'm able to do. I can manage a depth of 800 mm with my hand auger. I used that depth to support a two-post clothes line six metres apart and it's still standing after 18 years.

I believe it's better to dig too deep than too shallow. Also good advice for murderers.

Love to see how you go and what it looks like. Please keep us posted! 😁

markh1
Growing in Experience

Sounds great.  I never get to dig holes sort of looking forward to it..

Total cost ATM 

$850 (rounded up estimate).

90per wood beam x5

99 chin up bars X3

Concrete screws roughly guessed $50.

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Thanks @markh1 

I am surprised at the cost - but I'm outta touch with the World. I think a pub meal over $20 is too much. Looking forward to the completed photos. 👍

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @markh1,

As a general rule of thumb, 1/3 of the height of the post should be in the ground. So a post that stands 1800mm above the ground should have 900mm in the ground. This rule is used for fence posts, so you could likely get away with less in the ground. If you'll be doing plenty of swinging on the bar, the deeper the foundation, the better.

A pincer post hole digger and/or a post hole digger will be needed.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects