Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build an animal shelter

AmyM
Just Starting Out

How to build an animal shelter

I am after advice on the best ways to start building an outdoor shelter, I need one about the size of a double carport for my cows and one about the size of a cubby for my goat and lamb. I am going to start with the smaller one so that I can try and trouble shoot any issues for my large scale one, though I am after any tips that you all might have please? 

Thanks in advance! 

**Pics of ideas not set in stone plans**calf shelt.jpgshelter idea.jpgcalf shelter.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to build an animal shelter

Welcome to the Workshop community @AmyM. Many thanks for your question, I'd be happy to provide some ideas on where to start.

From your pictures, my first thought is how closely they resemble pergolas that have been walled in. I think a good starting point would be to familiarize yourself with how they are built. I'll include below some step-by-step D.I.Y. videos on the complete process.

Let me also mention some helpful community members @Brad and @gippslandhome who might like to contribute to the discussion.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How to build an animal shelter

I tend to look at them as being like bus shelters if the weather is coming into the open front they aren't doing too much to help you keep warm or dry. Adelaide Oval experience that has the members stand with a ventilation gap at the back which is great in hot weather and not good when it rains and the rain comes in more than expected as it tends to bounce on the sill and then get blown in.

My ideas would be -

Facing the opening to the east for morning sun and avoiding the hot afternoon sun. North is next best option.

Roof extends far enough over the front to protect from rain when it comes from the front.

Ventilation is great in summer and ideally it could be closed in winter, a compromise is a vent with rain resistant slots.

Metal sheets get hot in summer and cold in winter, insulation helps but it could become a home for other creatures.

Wood has some need for maintenance and you would want to use H4 if posts are going into the ground.

@gippslandhome  may have picked up something I missed.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects