Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to cut timber stumps closer to the ground?

carpedion
Cultivating a Following

How to cut timber stumps closer to the ground?

Hi all, I am installing edging from Bunnings however I have 4 of these stumps (see below) from an pre-existing structure that are interfering with the instllation. I want to try and cut them as close to the ground as possible (maybe cut off 4cm?). What's the best tool (power or hand) for me to do this with and any tips?

IMG_3959.jpgIMG_3953.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Cutting wooden stumps close to ground

Hello @carpedion 

Thanks for sharing your question about cutting your timber stumps lower. I suggest removing some of the soil and mulch away from the stump. It might be necessary to break up some of the concrete footing in order for you to cut even lower. I suggest using a hammer to break up the thin top part of the concrete.

To cut the stump, I recommend having a look at the Ozito 920W Reciprocating Saw RSW-5200 or a Multi Tool with a heavy-duty titanium coated plunge blade. Either of these tools will be able to cut the stump lower to the ground.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Cutting wooden stumps close to ground

Afternoon @carpedion 

In agreement with @EricL  - if you remove enough earth, you would also be able to utilise the humble handsaw.

But before all this, I'd like to try a blockbuster and crowbar on the stumps - and see if it could be split/splintered and removed in pieces, like a broken molar.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects