Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to deal with these Besser blocks? Paint or fill and render?

DarylS
Growing in Experience

How to deal with these Besser blocks? Paint or fill and render?

Hi All, 

I'm deciding between painting these breeze blocks Colourbond Dune or if i fill them with something (maybe expanding foam?) then trimmring that level and rendering over it (Medium Texture Dune). The Breeze blocks are backed by Cementboard on the otherside, and it's heavily glued into place. 

My questions are...

1. If i was to paint them, is spraying the way to go, could i get a paint brush in there? Would that be a pain in the...
2. If i was to render it, what's the best way to fill the breeze blocks so they're level with the surface of the face bricks (My thought was expandding foam? Is there a better option, would it be possible to seal expanding foam prior to applying the render? Is that necessay as the render itself would act as a sealer?, then i can render over the top of it? 
I can't place cementboard on the front like the back as the back was recessed in, the front is not. 

Or any other idea's with what you would do with this to renew them.4518EFB2-6C3B-46F0-A03E-2381019FAE50_1_201_a.jpg12D50A45-56B0-48B0-B8D1-12B7460E19D3_1_201_a.jpg

Many Thanks, 

Daryl

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to deal with these besser blocks? Paint or fill and render?

Hi @DarylS 

Thanks for sharing your question about how to cover your breeze blocks. My grandfather had the same thing in their brick fence, and he used Bastion 20kg Concrete Mix to cover up the holes and then rendered over them. It was labour intensive as I was the designated concrete mixer and my brother and grandfather filled in the holes.

Thankfully there are now a few more choices available to fill in the holes. Using self-expanding foam is an excellent option, my only tip is to use a large Craftright 150mm Pointing Trowel to cover the opening while the foam expands. This will maximize the use of the foam and you won't have to cut so much off. Once all the breeze block holes are filed you can trim off any excess and render over the surface. 

As far as painting goes, I propose investing in an Ozito Power Paint Spray Gun. This will allow you to spray directly into the deep portions of the breeze block. Any parts that the spray gun misses can be touched up with a small handheld brush. My best tip is to clean and wash the blocks as best as possible before you spray the surface.

My last suggestion was to cover the surface with a cement sheet, but it looks like it's not ideal as it will stand proud of the current fence surface.

Let me call on our experienced members @TedBear, @Dave-1 and @JoeAzza for their recommendations.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Good morning @EricL 

"It was labour intensive as I was the designated concrete mixer"

Likewise. As a teenager on school holidays, if my carpenter/builder father needed someone to man the cement mixer - twas me. The only drawback was I never learnt the troweling process, and it shows now. Such is life.

As for the above, I raise my hand to vote for re-painting. But not white.

Cheers.

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Good morning @DarylS 

Love thos blocks! Yet for so many tyears I didnt. My Grandfather and Uncle made a bunch when they were younger and used it as a windbreak/privacy wall and it really stood the test of time. Now I look at them with fondness. Im with @Noyade and @EricL about painting them, especially if you paint them the same colour as the bbrick wall they will blend in. Id go the route of spraying them the way Eric has described.

Now if you want to step outside your comfort zone.... 

Whats behind the wall? If its just a sheet of Cement board then pull it off, remove the white blocks and put in some vertical windows?  You could put in a lintal for the bricks and make a feature out of it?

If you only have one patch of these bricks you could stencil other patches on teh wall in white to make it appear as if there is more to it?

If you use the yard on the other side, remove the concrete sheeting and put up shutters to allow cross breeze through and also keep the privacy when needed? 

If you fill them with concrete yeah it will work :surprised: Didnt think it would but there are two people here that have done it :smile: but it will limit future use of the blocks? :smile: I usually avoid concrete if I can just becuase it locks something into place.

Dave

DarylS
Growing in Experience

Thank you all for your advice and suggestions! This Bunnings Forum is truly fantastic for the DIY’er, much appreciated! 

mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How to deal with these Besser blocks? Paint or fill and render?

Good morning @DarylS I’m not an expert with building and the guys have given awesome advice as always !!! I just had a crazy idea that I would personally try myself to see if it works. Turning into a living feature wall. Each one of those pockets could have a succulent plant growing in there. They don’t have a large root system and don’t need much water. That would look sensational, but that’s just my crazy thoughts 🤣🪴😃 otherwise stick to filling and rendering or painting it. Good luck mate ! 

DarylS
Growing in Experience

Hi all, 

Thought i'd provide an update, I persevered with a brush (or multiple brushes actually because they do get ruined) but it come up a treat in the end! 
Thanks to all for the support! 

71601402268__99262FF3-31E6-4800-A23D-F745F9E371C9.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @DarylS 

That's beautiful work, I'm glad you persevered with the paint brush. The new paint definitely gives it a nice, fresh crisp look. In order to keep it nice and tidy, I suggest using an Oates Bannister Brush to keep the gaps clean and prevent them from gathering dust and debris.

Thank you for sharing such a wonderful project.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Afternoon @DarylS 

Now that has come up brilliantly! :smile: It gives the appearance fo a window without a window being there :smile:

How long did it take to paint? Andhow many brushes did you go through? lol

Dave

mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

Yay !!! Looks fantastic 😃

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects