Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fill gaps in concrete

twochicks
Just Starting Out

How to fill gaps in concrete

PXL_20210220_233349501.jpg

Hi all, so I made a concrete table top for our outdoor area. The issue I obviously had the mix not wet enough and there are large gaps. 

At this stage I don't want to make again but try and salvage what we have. 

Any ideas on how to fill the gaps? 

Thanks

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fill gaps in concrete

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @twochicks. It's fantastic to have you join us, and many thanks for your question.

It would really help our members provide some excellent solutions if you would like to upload the tabletop's image and the gaps you want to fill. I suspect you'll need to use a product similar to Prep 750g Watercrete Multi-Purpose Patching Cement. However, there is a chance that it is a different colour from your original mix and will be noticeable as a filled area.

You could wet the table down and then use your original concrete mix to fill the gaps. The aggregate can be sifted out of the mix if it is too large to fit into the gaps. You can paint some Bondcrete into the gaps and let it dry before filling it with the concrete. That will help the new concrete bond to the old.

Depending on what these large gaps/cracks look like, you might fill them with oxide tinted cement, which perhaps could become a feature.

I look forward to seeing some tabletop images, and please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks. Image posted.

Thanks for that image, @twochicks. I'd suggest you form up the edges with some timber. Paint the entire surface with Bondcrete and then pour a runny mix of Bastion 20kg General Purpose Cement over the area. If you can get the timber form level, then you can fill the cement to the top to ensure uniformity. Some vibration of the tabletop will need to be done to ensure the mix penetrates down into the cracks. At a minimum, this can be achieved by tapping around the perimeter with a rubber mallet. 

Let me mention @TedBear to see if he has any other suggestions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Nope, I can't top @MitchellMc 's suggestion. (No pun intended.)

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects