Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix and replace a hole in the downpipe?

DaniN
Growing in Experience

How to fix and replace a hole in the downpipe?

Hi,

I am after some advice on fixing and replacing a rusted hole in the down pipe at my house. 

As per the pictures,  after the large amounts of we have had recently and the elbow join of the down pipe being clogged with mud and dirt etc, a small hole had rusted through the elbow join on my down pipe outside, and rain is pouring through the hole.

1) What's the best way to remove the section of the  existing downpipe?

2) How do I install a new bit.

Mud and dirt clogged in the down pipeMud and dirt clogged in the down pipe

E26C26F7-2496-4BAD-9D80-04F1E67B3E6E.jpeg

BC418735-70D1-456D-9042-48B35F899B41.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fix and replace a hole in the downpipe outside???

Hello @DaniN

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about how to fix your downpipe.

The part you're after is called the Lysaght 100 x 75mm Zincalume Downpipe Elbow. Typically the defective elbow is cut off using tin snips and the repair piece is inserted into the old downpipe by folding its sides. I suggest using Selleys 290ml Grey Storm Waterproof Gutter And Roof Sealant to seal the edges in combination with blind rivets to keep everything together. 

My best advice is to match the angle of your current elbow and cut only what you need so that you have room to adjust when you fit the new elbow in. I've placed a diagram below to give you an idea of how the repair can be carried out.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
DaniN
Growing in Experience

I can’t seem to find the part 100 x 75mm Zincalume Downpipe Elbow on the website 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Sorry about that @DaniN, let me ask @EricL to follow that up for you.

Jason

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @Jason 

I've noticed this a few times now. Eric's link worked fine earlier this morning - but just now all I see is the 'snag'. Nice pun.

Any idea why that happens?

But I do believe this is the product Eric was referring to.

I/N 4790438.

Clipboard01.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks @Noyade.

I have reported the issue to our digital team. The product can be found using a search on the site but the direct URL isn't working, suggesting an indexing issue. 

Jason

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @DaniN 

My apologies if the link I provided did not work, I suggest going to the Bunnings website and typing in " downpipe elbow" in the search bar. You should be able to find it in the results provided. If you can tell me the closest store to you, I can make enquiries for you and see if they have the repair piece in stock. Before proceeding to the store please make sure to measure the size of your downpipe. 

If you have any other questions, please let us know.

Eric

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

The weather is miserable and more rain predicted - so I was wondering how you got on with your down-pipe @DaniN ?

Hi @EricL  I always thought the one on the left is a "blind" rivet and the best for guttering? I could well be wrong...

20220828_090115.jpg

Speaking of pop-rivets - I've noticed over the years the area where they're sold in Bunnings is forever shrinking - limited choice now.

Are pop-rivets on the way out these days - it's all silicone glue now?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

We should have a pretty decent selection @Noyade. However, I must admit I'm one of those people that can never find one of my several pop-rivet guns when I need it, so I typically just purchase another rivet gun set that includes several different sized rivets.

Mitchell

DaniN
Growing in Experience

Hey,

I haven’t managed to fix it yet. Any ideas 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects