Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix gap under fence?

Glorz
Cultivating a Following

How to fix gap under fence?

Hello, What can I put under my fence to cover these gaps? Thank you

20231206_194421.jpg

20231206_194449.jpg

? Thanks 

Screenshot_20231208-091008_Gallery.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to fix gap under fence?

Hi @Glorz,

Good news! This is a common problem so there's already loads of great suggestions by our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. experts and other community members. I would encourage you to check out these previous discussions:

Have a read and let us know if you have any questions about the approaches shared.

Thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Glorz
Cultivating a Following

Hi Jason, I've had a read of all 3. I like Erics idea in post #2 (see pic below) about using treated pine sleepers with galvanised pegs. How would this option work even if my ground is all concrete? as ive read all 3 posts and all of them have dirt. Thank you

Screenshot 2023-12-08 181852.png

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Glorz 

I suggest anchoring the sleepers to the Colorbond posts with angled brackets. This will prevent them from falling over, you also have the option of anchoring them to the concrete floor with Dynabolts in combination with the brackets. This is on the condition that the concrete floor is thick enough.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

DIYGnome
Making a Splash

Hello @Glorz placing wooden sleepers at the base of Colorbond fences has become quite popular, predominantly from what I have noted people opt to use the existing Colorbond upright channeling (as seen in the image below), whilst it might be considered more aesthetically pleasing it would require the removal of panels to install the base board. 

Untitled.jpg

Glorz
Cultivating a Following

Hi @DIYGnome ,

This is the look I would have loved to achieve! Unfortunately removing the fence panels isn't an option so trying to find another way around it to achieve a similar look while also closing the gap.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Glorz,

@EricL's suggestion of using angle brackets would be the next best option. Cut the sleepers to be slightly shorter than the length of the gap and adjust their height if needed. The brackets will allow you to fix the sleeper in position. That wouldn't be as neat an install as sliding the sleeper within the posts channel, but it would be a reasonable option if you cut the sleeper to suit the gap size exactly.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Glorz
Cultivating a Following

Hi @MitchellMc , the height of the gap is around 300mm. Sleepers only come in 200mm so there will still be a gap. Is my only option to close the gap completely is to buy another sleeper, cut it and stack it on top? thanks

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Sounds like it @Glorz. Alternatively, you could install one sleeper between the posts and then a 150mm plinth across the front of the posts to cover the gap. That wouldn't look as neat as the stacked sleeper option, but it would save you from having to cut them down.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects