Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to get rid of pigeons from sitting on the balcony?

Joker2021
Finding My Feet

How to get rid of pigeons from sitting on the balcony?

Hi All

I recently moved to an apartment and looks like there is a pigeon problem, they keep sitting on the balcony rails in the night but occasionally come into the balcony during certain times of the day. 

They even went the extra mile to come into the living room when I left the balcony door open for sometime.  

I tried hanging aluminium foil from the balcony ceiling, it didn't work and then moved the foil to hang them from the balcony rail and still didn't work. They still come in the night sitting on the aluminium foil.

I am going to try hanging scare tape and see it that works otherwise I will need to use spikes but don't like the idea of putting spikes on balcony rails since you won't be able to lean on them.

They are leaving poop stains as well and hate to clean the balcony every week. 

Are there any idea to stop them from coming to the balcony apart from spikes and netting? 

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Get rid of pigeons from sitting on the balcony.

Hi @Joker2021,

Thank you for your question on how to stop pigeons hanging out on your balcony.

There are deterrent statues shaped as predators such as this Jack Pest Deterrent Hawk, or this Saxon 41cm Brown Owl Bird Scarer which you might like to consider as an option. 

You might also like to check out this discussion from the past, How to get rid of pigeons, for some great advice from my colleague @EricL on safe deterrent methods.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: Get rid of pigeons from sitting on the balcony.

Afternoon @Joker2021 

I was thinking about your issue and my first thought was a couple of holes into teh wall with some screws or cuphook styled things and string some fishing line or dark coloured wool between them.

Second option if you dont want to drill holes in your wall would be to do teh same but with two Right angled brackets facing against the wall and tied to the balcony handrail with cable ties. Something along these lines Carinya 100 x 125 x 25 x 6mm Black Heavy Duty Manhattan Angle Bracket - single - Black 

That may stop them sitting on the handrail tho not sure how to get them to stop sitting on the floor or coming in for tea and biscuits :smile:

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects