Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to get sizing for new deck?

mcvbuyer
Just Starting Out

How to get sizing for new deck?

Hi, we have just built a new house and want to build an outdoor deck.

Where can I go to get sizing for bearers and appropriate spacing for a deck 3m x 11m?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: new deck

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @mcvbuyer. It's terrific to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about constructing a deck.

The span your bearers and joists need to cover dictates their size. So, you need to make a plan, decide how many footers you wish to have and work from there. You'll find some decking calculators that can work all that out for you. However, I'd suggest you take a look at some of the low-level deck builds our talented members have created. You'll then get a great idea of how to construct yours. This article on How to build a low-level deck will also be beneficial.

Many of our members choose to construct a single-level deck with joists of 90 x 45mm outdoor framing timber. These joists are supported every 1000mm and spaced 450mm apart.

I look forward to following along with your project. Please let us know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects