Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to hang a heavy punching bag?

RajbirS02
Just Starting Out

How to hang a heavy punching bag?

Hi,

I'm thinking of hanging a heavy punching bag in my backyard area, the plan is to get a strong plank and drill it in between the 2 existing beams and secure it by drilling and screwing it (the plank will be where the blue is highlighted). The punching bag will weigh around 40kg and I wanted to know whether or not the beam and plank will be able to hold and manage that weight swinging about.

Any advice or tips will be really appreciated and thanks.

IMG_5867 (1).jpg

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How to hang a heavy punching bag?

Hello @RajbirS02,

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community! It's great to have you join us and we hope you find our site a great place for useful D.I.Y. advice and for inspiring ideas on improving your home and garden.

Thanks for your question on how to hang a punching bag. I'm sure our resident D.I.Y. expert @EricL will be happy to assist you with your query when he's back on the site later today. In the meantime, I suggest having a look at this discussion on How to hang 6ft punching bag for some related advice.  

Akanksha 

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to hang a heavy punching bag?

Hello @RajbirS02

Your idea of getting timber to go between the beams is a sound idea. To expand on your idea, I propose putting in noggins between all the beams to stiffen the structure of your roof frame. In order to lessen the stress on the frame I recommend attaching a heavy-duty spring to absorb the forces generated by the bag. 

Another possible anchor point is your brick wall, however, you'll need a steel angle bracket purpose-built for punching bags.

Here are some discussions about hanging punching bags that might help:

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects