Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to hang a pallet bar on a wall?

saffa1
Growing in Experience

How to hang a pallet bar on a wall?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: how to hang a pallet bar on a wall

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @saffa1. It's great to have you join us and many thanks for your question.

I believe our helpful members might need some additional information in order to provide a solution for hanging your pallet bar. Would you be able to tell us what type of wall you have and possibly take some pictures of the bar you want to attach?

We look forward to hearing more about your project and offering a response to your question.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
saffa1
Growing in Experience

Thanks Mitch,

that would help wouldn’t it,

ive added a pic of the back of the bar for reference. 
the wall I’d like to attach this to is a plastered wall so I’m assuming I would need to mount onto the studs behind the plaster 

7D5A37B8-9627-4E9E-BBB3-4B1734A3895E.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @saffa1,

Is the bar going to be completely hanging from the wall and not supported by the ground at all? Without a drawing of the final build I can only assume this is going to be a floating unit with the back attached to the wall and a serving area at right angles built onto the bottom of it.

I know it's a pain but I would remove the second top and second bottom board. This will give you access from the front to the top and bottom board on the back of this back piece. I'll suggest that you now turn it around (the side not facing us) and fix in several more screws into those backing boards top and bottom as you will use these to mount screws through into the studs. You need to make sure they are fixed well to the runners on the pallet and I wouldn't trust the nails they are fixed with now.

Once you locate your studs you'll position this back on the wall and align it with them. Access via the boards you removed and pre-drill holes in the backing boards. Use Buildex 14-10 x 100mm Climacoat Bugle Head Batten Timber Screws - 25 Pack straight through the backing board on the top and the bottom into the studs. I would suggest two screws at all four points into the studs. When done fixing the back to the wall you can then re-attach those front boards.

Please let me know if this makes sense. There are other ways you could go about doing this using brackets and the like.

Let me mention some of our helpful members @ProjectPete, @LePallet, @Yorky88 and @TedBear who might have some other ideas.

Mitchell

saffa1
Growing in Experience

Thanks for that Mitch, a very practical and logical solution for sure. 
I have added a couple more images to complete the picture. 
my only concern with your suggestion is that those boards won’t be strong enough to support the weight, it’s probably about 25-30kg and these pallets I’ve used are not the most reliable. When I was putting it together I had initially planned to use the thicker piece right at the top as the support to hang from a couple bolts put into the studs but then I couldn’t figure out what it was that I could fasten to the board that could then attach or hang from the bolts

20E05CED-C805-4D01-9A75-9AB59465409E.jpeg

2D8AC046-4AE1-43AA-8E3C-5289DE06C13E.jpeg

TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @saffa1,    you are right not to trust the construction of pallets to take the final overall weight, especially as it also involves bottles full of liquid.

My suggestion would be to firmly bolt a board to the wall, across where the bottom of the unit will sit, i.e. to sit under the unit and to take its weight.

You can fancy it up to suit. Then sit the unit on that board and screw the unit to the studs, - after screwing the back boards to the unit (if they are nailed at present), as suggested by Mitchell.  Those mounting screws through the back boards will stop it from tipping forward, so don't be mean with them, but the main weight will be taken by the suggested support board just under the unit.

Maybe put some small rt angle brackets inside to firmly attach the supporting back boards (the boards with the screws that go into the studs) to the sides & centre upright, just to ensure the boards can't pull out from the body, since they could have a bit of forward-strain on them when using the drop-down table. I like your idea and we are looking forward to seeing it in its final position.

saffa1
Growing in Experience

Thanks for that @TedBear, I think with yours and Mitchell’s advice I’m all sorted.

I’ll share a photo of the finished product once on the wall.  
I’m also starting to work on a few different pallet related pieces so no doubt I’ll be back for more help again soon. 
thanks again @MitchellMc 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Great, thanks for letting us know that you are all sorted now @saffa1.

We are looking forward to seeing the finished result.

Great to have you join the Bunnings Workshop community. Please don't hesitate to post anytime you have something to share with the community or need a hand with a project around the house and garden. 

Jason

saffa1
Growing in Experience

CFEB6D09-3D97-45A9-BB2D-03FABA7920F0.jpeg

Hi again @MitchellMc @TedBear,

im back with another question for you lads,

I’ve gone to hang the bar today (at my mom in laws) and the plan was to fasten into studs, but I was having serious difficulty today trying to find the studs I had assumed would be easy to find. 
So here I am asking for suggestions on how to either find the studs that I now feel like aren’t there or what other options I have? 
the wall is rendered polystyrene sheet cladding. 

09BB166F-9AD6-43D0-8B7E-4E5350BCCA59.jpeg

TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

Most reliable way is to use a Stud Finder.  you can get one for ~$20 at Bunnings.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/stanley-s100-stud-sensor_p5663710?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIkJOxm-yn7QIV5pVLBR3M...

If you mark off the area that you intend to hang the unit, you can try to find them by tapping and feeling the difference in vibration where the wall is firmer - where the studs are. But this is often an unreliable way. If you think you can feel it, you can then drill some tiny holes in the area of the stud to check that you are on it and also find out exactly where it starts and ends by the drill going into air, either side of the stud. The tiny holes will be hidden by the unit when hung, or you can fill them.

But a stud finder will help a great deal with finding them more accurately.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects